Thursday, December 07, 2006

Don't Throw Out Your Christmas Tree!!

I decided today was going to be the day that we got our Christmas tree. We haven't had one yet in this house (that means for 3 Christmases). This year we have to get one because Jacob is aware of the fact that it's something people do. OK, I'm fine with that. But I want a live one. I think it stinks that the trees have to die just for our frivilous use. I know there are plenty of arguments in favor of using cut trees (the oxygen it puts into the air, the fact that 2-3 trees are planted for each one that is cut, the benefits to the soil), but I'm always so sad to see the discarded trees by the side of the road after the holiday.

I've been talking to people about the whole live Christmas tree thing, and they've all been agreeing that it's a good idea and have recommended going to this one garden center near our house. Just like that. Before we left to go get the tree I thought I should call first just to make sure. Nope. Then I called 7 other places and none of them have the right thing either. I consulted with my mom. She suggested looking for a simple Norfolk Pine in a pot. So I called back all the places and none of them have that either. There is one place about a half hour away that's got the live trees, burlapped root ball and all but they start at $70, are really big and are not the kind that you can keep on the back patio all year long. It can only be kept in the house for a week at the most anyway. So I don't know what we're going to do.

Anyway, if you must have the 'real thing' and it's cut, then please read here for alternatives to leaving them by the side of the road.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines