Saturday, October 21, 2006

Scrambled Eggs

If you know me well, you know I am a huge klutz. At least 10 times a day I do one or more of the following: Bump my head, stub my toe, slam my hand on something while gesticulating wildy in the air...fall up the stairs, trip over something (inanimate or living), drop something, oh the dropping of things is the worst. It's like how hard is it to just hold on to something?

I also forget things a lot. Correction, all the time. Everytime I go to leave the house I forget something. But I always remember and the remembering usually involves me suddenly jumping in the air, or at least some part of my body reacting in some way, which, as you guessed, leads to more injuries. So there I am running back into the house to unlock the door and retrieve said item/bag/glasses/checkbook/etc. If I am lucky, the remembering happens before I have started the engine/pulled out the driveway/gotten partway down the road. If the remembering waits to rear its ugly head until I have gotten partway out the driveway or down the road, then anyone watching gets to see a pretty funny scene. And I'm pretty sure there is always someone watching me. Not that I think it is a very likely possibility, I just generally walk around life with that vague feeling.

I don't know if I was always like this? I think for the most part I must have been, but I guess it's just gotten worse in recent years for the obvious reason; I have a small child. First of all, I lost half my brain during my pregnancy, which I figure was flushed away when I gave birth. And since then, I have spent each day of my life in a sleep-deprived haze, so that can't be good for one's brain function either.

On Wednesday when I was running around like crazy trying to get packed up for camp, bobbing up and down between the fridge and the cooler, I was on my way back to the fridge when something went wrong. My mind said "duck!" but my body went with "stand upright." The part of my skull just above my left temple collided with the bottom part of the freezer door handle (picture the open fridge door and you will have a better idea of the actual injury) and sent me into a crumpled heap on the kitchen floor. There I stayed for a good five minutes with both Zach and Jacob standing over me repeating "Are you OK??" That was the worst one I've had in a long time. I can still feel the tender spot where the grapefruit sized lump was.

Anyway...Somehow my progeny has managed to escape this evil gene. He's really good with his spatial abilities. His kinesthetic and equilibratory senses are both highly developed. I credit his father's genes for this. Zach, the super-amazing marathon runner with good body mechanics. I've never had to worry about Jacob falling down the stairs, he's hardly ever injured himself in all of the climbing stunts he's pulled over his 3 short years. Even when he was just learning to walk he never ran into anything. I would stand there watching him get closer to that cord which was stretched across the floor and just hold my breath knowing a fall was imminent. But it never came, and it still hasn't.

He carries things really well, and I've come to trust his locomotive skills more than mine. So that's why I was surprised to hear the container of a dozen eggs (minus the one he had just removed upon my request) fall to the floor this morning. I didn't get upset because I knew it was a mistake. And as I rounded the corner, I figured there was no was all the remaining eggs could have broken. Ah, but they did. About 4 of them were completely lost to the kitchen floor, the rest were somewhat salvageable.

It's ok for dogs to eat raw egg, right? Cuz I had them take care of phase 1 of the cleanup. I remember before we had them and there would be huge food messes, I'd think "Boy, I wish we had a dog to clean this up." This is the first really big mess the girls have been able to help with, and I was so grateful to them ;-)

So I finished making the pancakes for breakfast and omelets were served for lunch. Probably dinner too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines