Monday, November 06, 2006

One For the Books

Last night was so crazy, I don't even know where to start. I was at my mom's with Jacob, who hadn't had a nap (Jacob, not my mom), so we were hanging out til 7pm hit and we would be in the all-clear zone. I wanted to make that last hour a productive one so I bribed Jacob to take a bath. The bribe - a post-dinner/post bath lollipop - was taking longer than I thought it should, and by then Jacob was wound up again, so I figured he could make the 5 minute drive home and we'd just brush his teeth at our house. 2 minutes into the drive Jacob was asleep with the lollipop still wedged in his mouth.

Things went pretty well for the next 5 or 6 hours. Then Jacob woke up, literally kicking and screaming. Kicking me, and screaming about the fact that I wouldn't let him hold the 'lipstick' (chapstick). I tried to calm him down, but things only got more physical, so Zach took over. Normally I would be offended, but honestly, it was kind of nice to not be the nightime parent for a change.

Apparently, the listick part was just a dream Jacob was having. Should I be worried that this is the kind of thing he is dreaming about - the daily offenses I commit against him? Tracing it back later with Jacob, it came out that on Friday night I took a chapstick with me on the way out of the house and Jacob had wanted to use it (I remember that he didn't want me to leave him at home - maybe that was the latent unresolved issue?). We didn't realize it then, and he didn't have any sort of tantrum about it at the time, so my theory is that he's been holding onto that small disappointment in his unconscious and it came out in his dream last night. So he kicked me and yelled at me, and wanted nothing to do with me for the next 6 hours. I can't believe I'm going to say this, because normally it would be heartbreaking that my child didn't want me, but remember this was between the hours of 1am and 7am...but anyway, maybe I should take the chapstick more often?

I'm happy to report that most of the following infomation was procured second-hand this morning in the short period of time after I got up and Zach went to work. This is also thanks in part to the sleep meds I took because I'm such an insomniac. I'm normally a very light sleeper and couldn't possibly sleep through the following: 1) Jacob asking for his sippy cup, 2) Jacob eating yogurt 3) Jacob wanting to go downstairs to watch a video - denied, 4) Jacob getting a vitamin - which he attempted to make the trip downstairs for, 5) Jacob being fed Cheerios, 6) Jacob needing eye-drops, which I administered (we previously thought he was getting pink eye), and then suggesting we go downstairs to do it so as not to spill them, "Better not get it on the sheets," he warned. See a pattern here? He was using all his ammunition just to get downstairs, putting him one step closer to fooling Zach into agreeing to a video.

When I came downstairs at 7:20 both my boys were asleep on the couch, with a Baby Einstein video running its course on the TV. They looked so comfortable all snuggled on the couch so my first move was to wake Zach up and convince him he was going to be late for work if he didn't get up right away. By the time he realized it wasn't that late, I had already taken his warm spot next to our sleeping angel.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines