Thursday, October 26, 2006

Something weird about me...

Tonight at work I cleaned the fridge. Armed with a roll of papers towels and the bottle of Windex, I marched into the kitchen to tackle the job that no one else would consider. I got to throw nasty old stuff right into the garbage and I scrubbed all the surfaces til my heart was content.

The weird part is that I really liked it. It was the best thing I have done all week in terms of stress relief. I just really like to clean. But maybe you don't think that is so weird.

Now I'm home from work - where I also got to empty the vacuum cleaner bag and had a helluva time trying to get the big bouncy-bounce deflated and folded up. That was a pretty picture. So here I am, suddenly thrust back into the one place that I am sick of cleaning over and over again. And Jacob is running around like wild because he fell asleep prematurely in the car at 6pm. Sometimes we think we will luck out and he'll be out for the night. But really the cutoff is at least 7pm, no sooner.

So he's basically had a 2 1/2 hour nap. I had a crazy night at work while Zach enjoyed a peaceful evening at home, and I'm told Jacob woke up shortly before I came in the door. I wonder what time this night will end. 1, 2, 3am? I'm so tired, so I have to balance that with my wanting to freak out about all the things around the house that are still undone. If I had 2 1/2 child-free hours, I could perform miracles! But somehow men are just able to tune out all the messes. When I stand there and complain that the house is a disaster zone he actually looks at me and says "The house looks fine." I stare at my surroundings and wonder if we are even living in the same dimension.

On a nicer note, Jacob and I finished our crazy day of birthday party errands in one piece, to say it politely. He was a lucky boy today. Everywhere we went the women wanted to give him free stuff. I said yesterday that I don't know if it's because I'm his mom that I think he is so smart, but I can proclaim without doubt that he is one of the cutest kids. Everywhere we go, people are constantly gushing over him. I'm not bragging, just reporting the truth. The cashier at the party store offered him a free balloon. The lady at the bakery was just dying to give him a cookie. And at the grocery store he got a sticker (not as cool as a free cookie, but still...).

And now here I am, back at home, where, at the end of the day, I'd most like to be. Jacob is up and pointing at me while he shouts, "Hey, oo're (you're) appropriate!" Yes, I guess I am...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, its Cassandra. Just wanted to say, you are adorable! I just finished moving into my new home and had to clean out my old fridge which I also felt quite satisfying. I love your idea of leaving a blog. I too do something similar. Enjoy the cleaning and realize, it was our mom's who we watched as children, scrubbing out the fridge with that same look of smug satisfaction that brought us here today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines