Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm too tired to think of an appropriate title for this post....

Today was Jacob's 1st ever dentist visit. I took him to the place where I used to go as a kid. Actually, I was just there for the last time 3 1/2 years ago. They're technically a pediatric dentist's office, but since I was still in college they kept letting me go back to them. And I had just found out I was pregnant the last time I was there, so I knew I'd be back in a few years to show off my own child. This is something I was sort of waiting for. When I called to make the appointment the lady on the other end of the phone got all excited when I told her my name. "The Stacey ** who used to come here??" She asked like I was famous or something.

Jacob did so well in the chair. He was all relaxed and let them do their thing. He looked like a little man; I was so proud. After his visit we stayed a while to play with all the stuff in the waiting room some more. There was a TV in there with a movie playing on a continuous loop and when the music got scary sounding Jacob asked me to turn it off. I was also proud of that. There was a big sign on the TV that said not to touch it or turn it off or anything. Why do TVs in waiting rooms have to be like that? Like we don't have the choice whether or not to have the TV blaring in our faces. If it had been the waiting room of a place that I didn't already love or I was a parent opposed to TV completely, the fact that they won't let you turn it off would make me not want to go back. What's the deal with a TV in the waiting room to begin with? What ever happened to old magazines and dirty toys? Or was it dirty magazines and old toys...

We have a TV, just one, and it doesn't have cable. There are some days that it doesn't go on, and I feel like something is accomplished on those days. Jacob watches one video a day, and in rare occasions a little more than that. Zach and I have 3 shows that we like to see each week, and that's about it. I'm sure there will be phases where it will be on more than this, as there has been in the past, but right now we're just too busy. In the past TV was big part of my life and it was sick how much time was devoted to it (now I have the internet to be addicted to). I don't want that again, and don't want Jacob growing up with TV as a major part of his life. I just don't think it's fair that we not be able to remove that distraction in the waiting room. If someone else was watching it, fine, but there were 2 other people in the room, both parents and both immersed in books. Arg! I have to stop writing about it because it's just making me more annoyed. I should be focusing on the good part of the day.

Such as: The nice time we had playing at the lego table after seeing the dentist. The nice time we had at the bagel shop afterwards. Jacob ate really well (for once) and then we just kind of hung out people-watching (one of my favorite pastimes) and talked about the things we saw. It was so mellow and fun, like it used to be. Then we headed to the train store (this being the same plaza where the my eye doctor is) that is actually a
toy store, but being the kid that he is all Jacob really sees is the train table, and so that's what we refer to it by. Then there was the poop, and you know what happened from there.

In other news, the broiler pan got washed yesterday morning! I woke up and it was in the drying rack. I win.

Yesterday Jacob was wearing one grey sock and one teal sock. The reason being: Why toss one perfectly good sock just because it's mate was chewed by Mango? Just wait for her to chew another sock, which is inevitable, and hope that whichever pair it is, the color at least complements the color of the first surviving mate. In addition to the funny socks, Jacob now has 3 mittens without mates, thanks to you-know-who. Couldn't she have at least chewed a mitten that already lost it's mate? I guess it's only fun for her if she's doing some actual damage. And just so I didn't feel left out, Mango chewed one of my mittens 2 days ago. Thanks Mango!

But now, instead of just tearing things apart, I think she's begun eating them whole. In the last 4 days or so several items have gone missing: The tube of Aquaphor (which upon purchasing I placed above the TV, announcing to the other members of the household that this was the only acceptable place to keep it because I didn't want the 'jaws of death' to get the gooey stuff. I was too cheap to buy the hard plastic container of it because that cost twice as much), both my Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers (in colors coffee and cocoa...mmm), a bottle of eye drops to go with my new contacts. And I never lose things, so you tell me a more reasonable explanation.

Oh, and yesterday when Jacob woke up, the excavator was already here. When he wakes up he usually stands up in bed to look out the back window, which is what he did then. Zach had to take part of the fenceline down for the machine could get it. It was the part outlining the dig pit. Zach and I were both downstairs when Jacob woke up and the first sign was that he burst into tears. We headed upstairs to see what the issue was. Jacob was crumpled in a heap on the bed and even though he was too distraught to speak clearly, I could tell by the fold in the shade that he had lifted it to look outside. Knowing him and imagining what the view looked like from there I guessed that he was upset about the dig pit. Jacob thought that they'd dug it up and ruined it. We explained that it was still there, and Zach pointed out the stones that outline the pit on the other side. Jacob was satisfied with that and started to calm down. But this just goes to show how much he really loves dirt. I guess it really was appropriate for me to fill in the 'interests' line on the form at the dentist today with 'construction'.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines