Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On being green

I remember when I was in fifth grade my eco-consciousness first came to the surface. I had a teacher, Mrs. VanAlstyne, who brought about this consciousness. My mom always says, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Ever since then I've taken strides beyond what the average person does to make our world a healthier place, not only for the human race, but also for all other species and the planet itself. In this last year I've felt like I've done more than ever to be Earth-friendly, and I have been wondering what it was that has made the difference. And suddenly I've realized it's because it has become trendy to be 'green'. This is a good thing, I guess, I just wish more people would care because they care and not just because it is in vogue. It makes me think that next year, when something else has become the 'it' thing, that the concern for our environment will go away.

I definitely consider myself more than 'light' green. I don't know what the specific parameters are for the measurements of green-ness, but even if my lifestyle is not totally reflective of a green lifestyle, my heart lays in the deep 'green' forest. It's more of a hunter, or moss. If money were of no concern, my eco impact would be zilch. I lust over hybrid cars, energy star appliances, solar panels, and hemp clothing. There are tons of things I do do, but unfortunately we live in the society we do and there is a balance you have to maintain to be able to function in the world we have created. I do what I can though...I do my part.

Here's an example of something I've noticed catching on in my immediate community:


Those Hannaford bags. I swear I was the first person to use them. Got one of each color I was so excited to see their debut! I bought them for friends and family too. Now all the stores are picking up on it. I've been BYOB for years now and it's a relief to not get the funny looks anymore, as if it is now a viable option to refuse the paper or plastic options at the checkout. It's really not a big issue. I just keep them in my car and when I go to a store, any store, I grab them and use them. I don't see why everyone isn't using them. They hold more, are stronger, and you save money at the checkout for having them. Did you know that?

Here are some statistics from the ideal bites site:
  • Worldwide, over one million plastic bags are used EVERY MINUTE.
  • In the US, about 12 million barrels of oil and 14 million trees go to producing plastic and paper bags each year.
  • About 4 billion plastic bags end up as litter each year.
So here's a little video I thought I'd try to post (cuz I can generally figure that stuff out now). Er...maybe it is at the top of the post. Or not. I swear, it was there, but I messed it up somehow, and now youtube is experiencing problems. I'll try again later. Anywya, I've been getting these daily e-mails since last year and it's such a great way to implement small, do-able changes.

I saw this bumper sticker in Lake Placid over the weekend: "3% of the world's population consumes 50% of its resources and creates 60% of its waste." The point being that the over-consuming whores are us United States folks....it's something I've heard before, but I really want to get something with the quote on it. I've been scouring the internet and I can't come up with anything...if you know where I can look, point me in the right direction.

I have no trouble believing that though...in today's mail alone, Zach got a free Gilette Fusion razor with get this, 5 razor blades! What ever happened to, um, one? Always bigger, better and newer, right? I also got a mailing from the dealership where I got my van. Get this, they have a van that has two DVD players! I have to have that! When the kids aren't watching videos in the back, they can swivel around their seats and play cards with one another on the neat little table provided. There's also a multimedia infotainment (there's a new word) system. Whatever that is. Whatever happened to looking out the window? Also, we got free tickets to attend a dinner/conference where they will teach you how to become a millionaire by selling stuff on ebay. What the hell do I want to be a millionaire for? Money is not going to make me happy. Yes, I like clothes, and yes, it is nice that I can stay home with my child, and it would be nice if Zach could quit his job too. But both of us like to work for our money. I don't think many people can be happy if they haven't earned what they've got. And yes, I'm partly a hypocrite because I do like the internet and my camera technology. But c'mon. There has to be a point when enough is enough.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

It's not that easy being green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold...
or something much more colorful like that.

It's not easy being green.
It seems you blend in with so many other ord'nary things.
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain,
or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why?
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful!
And I think it's what I want to be.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbCI68eSNsA

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Dr. Seuss?

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Ah, right, I knew I recognized that from somewhere. I also understand you are making a point here about the lyrical nature of poetry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines