Thursday, September 24, 2009

Laws of Nature

I don't know what you want to call this; it's not really Murphy's Law, but maybe it is. When something like the following happens, I just mumble about the laws of nature...that's what I call it. For instance, all in a 24 hour span of time the other day three things happened. We'd been sleeping on a bed with no sheets for a few days, just a quilt layed over the mattress because I kept forgetting to put the clean, urine-free sheets back on the bed during the day. And then when it's late at night the last thing you want to do before you fall into bed is stand there and make the bed. Well of course the day I finally decided to do it, everything matching for once, hospital corners and all...that was the night that we were so tired that I crashed early on the couch with Sabine and Zach was too tired to check for a bed pad under Jacob. THAT was the night, the first night in a couple weeks, that Jacob wet the bed. Go figure.

But sheets aren't the only thing that get messed up around here. It was later that day that we were having some company over so I finally got around to clearing off the dining room table. It hadn't had a tablecloth on it since a couple months before when I just put it down five minutes before Jan brought over a pizza and someone spilled pizza sauce all over it. So on this night with the company, my mom helped me get the table cloth on and into place while Jamie stood there waiting to put down the tray with a half gallon of ice cream on it. As soon as we finished he dug in and don't you know the very first scoop of ice cream fell on the table just between his bowl and the tray I had in place to catch spills like that.

While my mom and Jamie were here that night, I gave Jamie the task of figuring out how to reset the clock on the VCR because it had been blank for several months and I never knew what time it was. He did reset it, only to have the power go out within a few hours and the time go blank again.

It was just that kind of day, I guess. I'm always looking for meaning in things like that. Was the Universe trying to tell me something? Just sleep in the dirty sheets, or don't put them back on to begin with? Maybe it wants me to stop eating ice cream?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines