Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Sigg

Danielle called me up a couple weeks ago to ask me if I'd heard the news about the My Sigg water bottles. "What?!?!" I yelled when she told me that the company had just admitted to their water bottle containing BPA. We have five of those water bottles and I bought them over two years ago because they were widely believed to be BPA-free.

First I was in denial, then I was just really, really angry.

I've been less careful with them than I would have been with a bottle that I knew contained BPA. That's one reason I'm really angry. Another reason I'm really angry is because my children drink out of those water bottles! My BABY drank out of My Sigg from the time she was six months old. In my mind, a female BABY is the most susceptible to the damage BPA can cause one's body.

BPA is an endocrine disruptor that mimics estrogen. It affects brain development and reproduction in animals, has been linked to cancer and obesity, and it takes a very small amount to cause the changes.

Anyway, suffice it to say, I'm really upset. I don't expect most people to care about this topic, but it's brought me to tears a couple times because people who know me, know that I am a freak about health issues, and what lengths I go to avoid certain toxins.

Here's a link to the article I read.

Here's a link to the exchange program My Sigg is running where they'll take your old (pre August 2008 - which are the bottles 'infected' with the BPA) water bottles back.

And here's a link to my post two years ago when I originally purchased the Siggs.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines