Monday, October 23, 2006

The Headache

Know how I was saying that I'm a klutz? Today was particularly heavy on the klutz action. This morning when I was reaching into the cupboard for the coffee beans, I slammed my elbow on the shelf in that spot where it sends a vibration shooting up the rest of your arm and you walk around for the next ten minutes with the distinct feeling you have just thwacked a gong.

When I was placing the Advil back into a high cupboard, the bottle slipped out of my hand just before reaching its destination. I went to save it from falling into my my cup of freshly poured coffee. The good news is that I saved the bottle. Bad news: My hand actually fell into the said coffee as I followed through on my sweet save.

As I stood before the oven, ready to retrieve the hot dish which contained homemade mac 'n cheese for Jacob's lunch, I was contemplating my next move. See, ovens and I have a bitter past. Many a time I have risen to the challenge of putting something into/taking something out of/simply 'checking' on the muffins which lay within, and many a time the oven has won. I dropped the dish. However, freshly off the coffee/Advil incident, I was aware of the possible consequence of attempting to be the hero. I thought fast and skipped the part where I burn the back of my hand to high Hell. Score one for me!

None of it though, even comes close to the pain that's been happening inside my head all day. I first felt it as I bent over this morning to grab something else that had dropped on the floor. I remember my first impression clearly; "How did that cinder block find it's way inside my skull?" And not only did I have Jacob to take care of, but Evy was here today too. When Zach couldn't get out of bed for three days last week, it was ok, because Jacob and I were mostly out of town.

Did I do something to deserve this? Was I unkind to Zach while he was sick? I guess the one thing I've got going for me is that the memory of the pain has not yet worn off for him, so I'll possibly gets some sympathy off of that? I don't usually get babied when I'm sick, because being a mother isn't something you can call in sick to, so we'll see what happens this time. Well, I must attend to the large, pulsating cannon ball attempting to exit through my eyeballs.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines