Saturday, July 07, 2007

Day 7

Actually, I'm not really even sure what day this is...technically this is day 8, but I'm not so sure how I've been doing the other posts. Well, from now on this is how it will be: Today is day 8, so when I write 'Day 7' I am referring to yesterday, since day 8 didn't really happen yet.

That brings me to another point though; I can't keep track of the days, or the time of day for that matter! I just had to check my cell phone to see what day it is. I could have sworn it was on Friday. And the time...well we just have no concept of it whatsoever. I mean, I'm not just talking the time zone changes - for the record though, we are now two hours away from where we began. The simple fact of having reliable clocks is what I'm talking about. The clock up front in the RV is wrong. It started out 2 hours and some-odd-minutes off of the real time, and now that we changed time zones twice, I have no idea where it stands. Zach and I keep saying that we'll fiddle with it the next time we stop, but we never do. There is a clock on the microwave and I set it once, but then I guess everytime we are stopped or without power it turns off and needs to be re-set, so there is no use in doing that.

I've been mostly relying on my cell phone to see the time, but it took me a whole time zone to realize that it self-updates and that threw me off for a while. Zach goes by his watch, which is EST (home time) so we are always coming up with different times of day. My computer still has home time = more confusion. We have no concept of meal time, bed time, or when we need to leave the campsites. We've never left a campsite on time as far as when their checkout time is.

Speaking of checking out of a campsite - Zach is so ready to do that now. We're at the Sleepy Hollow campsite in Wall, SD. We never intended to stay here, but after the Badlands (which was amazing and I will have to post the pictures another time), we went to Wall. I'd always heard of Wall Drug and didn't really know what it was all about. Well now I know and it's kind of crazy, kind of weird, kind of freaky. We're a little sketched out being here, but we can't leave in the same gory way that you can't help but crane your neck at the roadside accident. We stayed for hours and spent some money we shouldn't have. But it was nice to be luxuriant like that for once. Jacob was an absolute crab after the heat in the Badlands (boy was it hot! We're guessing it has to be within a few digits of 100 degrees) so we bribed him with ice cream in Wall Drug and then, satisfied, he fell asleep in the stroller. Then we found the good stuff (shooting water fountains and such) and tried to wake him. Nope. By then it was late, but we didn't realize it because we'd just changed time zones and instead of staying light til 10:30, it got dark at 8:30. I don't think either one of us wanted to actually stay in Sleepy Hollow (how creepy sounding is that?), but we had no choice because all over South Dakota there are signs that you can't park overnight and we really want Jacob to see just a couple things in town this morning.

So here we are, sort of a little afraid to even set foot outside...it is just that creepy, in a way I can't even explain. Zach wants to blow the joint so I have to wrap this up. I know I still have to finish some of the other posts, and I will do that later. I have to actually write in detail about the places we've been and I have to actually post pictures here. I'll do it all eventually.

--------------------

Update: I just got word that it was 104 yesterday and it's already 95 degrees at 11am! Did I mention I've been mildly sick all week? I've been going through the various cold/flu symptoms all week long...today begins the draining...mmm.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm loving being able to see how your trip is going. :) Now I'm curious though-why was it creepy? I've never heard of Wall Drug and I'm curious.

Can't wait to see pics!

Kori

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are enjoy the scenaries and Jake looks like he is also having fun with dad!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines