Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Here they come....

There's either a major baby boom going on, or it just so happens that everyone I know is having a baby. Last week our friends, who were the first people we told when we found out I was pregnant, had their second child. They gave him the same name our other very good friends gave their baby the very next day when he was delivered still born. I just got word that another friend is finally, after two days of being effaced and dilated, having contractions. I expect she'll be giving birth to her daughter right about the time I am attending the graveside funeral of the child who should be a living, breathing, 7 lb. 12 oz. bundle of joy. Life is ironic, and so completely brutal that way, isn't it?

While we're away I'm going to be missing one baby shower and I expect at least one of the other babies will make their entrance; possibly two. But to the August baby: You'd better just stay put where you are til I get back cuz I've been waiting for you before you were even thought up.

My mom and Jamie were off visiting the latest addition to the family clan and hurried back into town so they could be available to watch Jacob while Zach and I are at the service tomorrow. Even though one of my other two options, as far as baby-sitters goes, is out of town, and the other is in labor, we would have figured out somewhere for Jacob to go. So after 24 hours of listening to me bawling my guts out over the phone about the emptiness my friend must be feeling, I really think that my mom just wanted to get home so she could, like she said, "Would you please get up of the floor so I can hold you."

And that's where things are at. I am so entirely spent that all I can do is lay on the sticky floor, begging an answer from the ceiling about the unfairness of life. The addition is not done. Zach is taking all the time he can off of work to scrap together some sort of completeness before we leave. We have no idea where we are going on our trip. We just found out that the RV being loaned to is is twice the size we expected, which is to say, bigger than our house, literally. We're asking ourselves now if maybe we should just take the van and do some authentic camping, which I am ashamed to admit I have never done.

We are so unprepared for this trip that it is hard to imagine we are leaving in four days. When we're feeling really overwhelmed, Zach and I fantasize about maybe just driving one state away and parking it for three weeks. We'll come back just as refreshed as we would have been after driving across the entire country (which, by the way, I have just come to realize is not do-able in 3 weeks), and probably more rested. I hear you can do amazing things with Photoshop, and no one would be the wiser.

I never got to finish my previous 'series post'. I am completely drained. A lot of things happened. I can only hope to be able to post some while we're away.

1 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Two things: one, just take the van and do the camping thing. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Second: yes, you most certainly can do the whole country in three weeks. I've actually done it in two. The first roadtrip I ever took, I was gone for a month, but I spent the last two weeks of that in Virginia with Eric. And, I went from NH down to Virginia, then up to St. Louis, Chicago, stopped in the Badlands, up to Seattle, down to northern California, then across Nevada and Arizona to the Grand Canyon, up to Denver (where I watched a Star Wars movie at a huge theater), then over to Virginia. All that in the first two weeks. And, remember, I was the only one driving because I was by myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines