Monday, July 02, 2007

Days 2 & 3

Day 2, 6:30pm: We left our Rochester locale with a gas station in mind and found one within minutes of departing. So here I am waiting while Zach fills up, holding my breath to find out how much it’ll suck from our account. $95.71.…and we still had a quarter tank. We haven’t even traveled our anticipated daily average of 6 hours.

The guy who showed us the ropes when we went to pick up the RV was really good, but he was young and had spent many family vacations in RV’s like this with his parents, so maybe the reason he told us that we could make it to California and back on three tanks of gas is because he wasn’t the one paying for it! Or perhaps he just slept through all the fill-ups? Previously we’d been thinking that the gas was going to be the most expensive part of the trip, and we were doubting not only our ability to simply traverse the entire country, but also the ability to pay for the juice to get us there and back. Then when we heard him and re-heard him tell us (because I thought it was too good to be true and kept asking him, “Are you sure?!“) that the gas wouldn’t be more than $500 total, we were stoked. Riiiiight.

So now we’re back to thinking we’re pretty screwed.

As if the cost of gas wasn’t funny enough, we had to go in circles (literally) just to get to the gas pump. Zach estimated it perfectly and pulled right up to that sucker at just the right angle, only to find out the pump was out of order. Since backing up in this thing is a bitch, involving me getting out and shouting fruitless instructions at the front and most likely would end up in some kind of catastrophe, we went with the ‘damage control’ option of circling the parking lot repeated times to achieve the desired angle. I’m glad I got to be the one who could stay inside and save face.

After that I had my first big ‘motion drama’ involving something other than my body parts. Last night I learned my first RV lesson: Don’t walk toward the back of the RV at night unless you want to trip over the suitcase in the middle of the floor which you yourself just placed there 10 minutes prior in an attempt to keep the drawer under the fridge from opening and closing all the while you’re driving - and fall flat on your face. The lights from the cars behind your vehicle blind you and you can’t see a damn thing. Anyway, that’s what I call ‘motion drama’, any injury incurred while in motion. Today was ‘motion drama involving other objects’. I was filling a sippy cup with milk, fresh from the farm and in a glass bottle, for Jacob. When I went to put the bottle back in the fridge things got all crazy and items started falling from the fridge, rolling all over the floor. I got them settled back in their proper places and the bar holding the items on the door shelf fell off, releasing more bottles onto my toes. Lesson: Never turn a sharp corner or go over a bump without warning the standing person about the impending danger.

Anyway, it took me all of the rest of NY to write that. We’re at the welcome center in Pennsylvania now for a little stop. I've been typing this up on my laptop and when I get somewhere with wireless internet I'll post it.
----------------------------------------------------

Day 3: At the Pennsylvania rest area I got out and took some pictures, we watched the sunset, had dinner in the RV, watched the Gilmore Girls, and went to bed. We didn't plan to stay the night but didn't end up leaving the place until this morning at 10am. We were so tired from all of everything leading up to the trip and really just had to wind down so we could have a clean break before really beginning the adventure.

Today we passed through Drew Carey’s city, and then got lost somewhere in Ohio the first time we actually needed to depend on the GPS my mom and Jamie loaned us. That 'lady' is so annoying. We talk about it like it's a person. We were driving around in circles (again) looking for the Tops that the GPS kept telling us we were driving through. 3 rounds later we started to realize that maybe the Tops just wasn't there anymore but the GPS lady didn't know that yet. So we settled for a Walgreens and there I had my sole Ohio experience. The lady who checked me out was sooo nice and had a slight accent. Jacob didn't set foot outside the RV for two whole states. He doesn't want to leave it! He freaks out when we have to, and he's just as happy as pie sitting up on the 'loft' playing with his freaking Bob the Builder machines. That's all he wants to do.

Now we're at a campsite in Indiana - our first campsite, and they have wireless! I'd like to just plop down here and stay forever. We took Jacob swimming when we got here, then to the playground. I've got to do laundry in the morning because Jacob peed the bed last night. Good thing I had those puppy pads! Ah, we're having a great time though...

Pictures tomorrow before we leave the sweet Heaven of internet accessibility.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines