Tuesday, May 06, 2008

That's the risk you take

You know how I have that pile of stuff of Jacob's that I want to get rid of? I keep the pile on the back corner of the counter in the kitchen, it houses all the random crap he won't let me throw out. Any given object makes its way into the pile and stays there up to a few months until I decide Jacob has sufficiently forgotten about the item.

Many, many months ago one of the items was a cheap, freebie piggy bank. It was in the actual shape of a pig, pink to be exact. Then we acquired one of those little mailbox banks that they sell in the post office. Then someone gave Jacob a truck shaped bank as a gift and I decided that three banks was too many. The piggy went into the corner and didn't come out until more recently. I sent it off with my mom one day, disguised in a bag, with the instructions to bring it to the church thrift shop.

That was a few months ago and everything has been fine. Well tonight I was flipping through the local advertising newspaper that comes weekly in the mailbox. There's an ad in it, I don't even know what for, that features a small piggy bank in black and white. I don't know how it is kids always focus on the thing you don't want them to see, but Jacob saw it. Then he questioned where his piggy bank went. This was so long ago I'd almost forgotten about it, how could Jacob remember?

But remember he did. I played dumb for a minute, but he's too smart for that. So then I just had to be vague and pretend that 'we' casually, and as a voluntary act of his, got rid of it one day, don't you remember? He's not really buying the fact that he had anything to do with getting rid of the beloved piggy bank.

You know how in my April post I said that Jacob has these tantrums where he repeats a littel mantra? Well he's just finished up from 20 minutes of wailing "Piggggyyy bannnkkkk!" over and over again. He's currently (finally) winding down from having a shit attack about the whole ordeal...and I'm thinking if he can get that upset about something like that I should be nervous about what else he might remember because I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff this way.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines