Monday, April 28, 2008

Camp

On Friday we left to go up north to Camp. This is a little bit earlier than we usually go, but the dock had to be repaired before the water was let back into the lake (it's a man-made lake). Jamie, Zach and my uncle planned a time when we could all go up and fix it together. Besides, in a few weeks I will be too close to my due date to leave town and I will be so sad that I won't be able to go to Camp, so it was a nice time to go. The weather was beautiful all weekend long and the black flies are not out yet.


It's a long drive there, especially for two dogs,
a four year old and a pregnant lady so we
have to make some stops to stretch our legs.

When the "are we there yet" line of
questioning started Jacob got a little
sedative - aka a Ring Pop, his first ever.

We couldn't have the usual camp fire though
because Smokey the Bear said it's too dry.

I guess the water got let in early, but
everyone got right to work when we arrived.
The work space.

The work crew.

When not assisting the work crew, Jacob
enjoyed digging...

Climbing trees...

And swinging.

I enjoyed taking pictures...

Of blueberry buds...

Spider eggs...

And a waterfall.

I could end it here, on a happy note, but I have talk about the ride home. Jacob and I had to leave early Sunday morning for a friend's birthday party back at home. It was the first time I'd ever done the drive by myself (without another adult to talk to) but I did well. I made it through the border patrol with the rest area just out of reach, drove straight through the two hours when Jacob was sleeping even though the baby was playing trampoline on my bladder, kept my cool when he spilled a full thing of chocolate milk on the backseat (and all over the nice shirt I had just ironed and hung in the backseat so I could change before the party) because Jacob thought that it would just sit upright in a MOVING CAR, made it home in record time and even stopped at Target to spend my last six dollars on a box of gift tags.

Then we cruised to the party location and get this - got there ON TIME, which never happens. In the five minutes it took Jacob and I to change our clothes in the back seat, slap a gift tag on the present and gather myself enough to walk in, I watched several families go into the building. None of them I knew. I got a little nervous, but we walked in anyway. When I didn't see even the birthday boy, I knew something was wrong. A quick trip back to the car and a phone call to a friend proved my instincts were right. The party had gotten changed and I missed the memo. It's next weekend.

On the drive home I called my mom to report the bad news and I burst into tears. Half my family was still at my favorite place on Earth enjoying the awesome weather and togetherness and I had just spent the last four hours in the car rushing to a party I was a week early for. Jacob was so good about it and totally settled for a walk down the road to an ice cream place as a consolation prize, but I grumbled about the missed opportunity for the rest of the day. I suppose it could have been worse - we could have missed the party altogether.

Oh, and my cousin just e-mailed the finished product so I can see it for myself.



Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I hope that it wasn't our party that you were talking about! If it was... I am SO Sorry!!!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

So, Bethany keeps asking me where your camp is and I don't know really what to tell her besides a very vague "way up north." I'm sure you've told me the name of the place before, but since I don't really know the area, can't picture it's location in reference to other places, it's really hard for me to hold on to the information...

So, I want to tell her where it is...what's the place called/where exactly is it???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines