Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"You-know-what"

I'm sure every household with kids has one of these, and ours is no different. We mostly eat very healthy and I am uber-conscious of the foods I allow into the house, but no one can be perfect all of the time. Our favorite treat apparently is ice cream because it's the thing for which is so common these days, we must have a coded name. Long gone are the days of I-C-E...we used that one waaay too much and Jacob caught on probably before he could even say the words 'ice cream'.

Being pregnant has greatly reduced my willpower, plus it's one of those rare foods that helps the heartburn. So we end up with ice cream much more than we should. But if Zach and I are considering it, we have to sneak off to another room and then one of us usually whines, "I feel like you-know-what..." Then from the other room, Jacob yells "I want ice cream!" First off I don't know how he even hears us, but if we didn't already know how much we like ice cream, his interpretation of you-know-what would be a dead give-away.

So does your house have a you-know-what?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jeff Foley said...

Ha. Our kids out very furry and each have four legs. However, ice cream also is the "You-know-what" in our house. They love it. We can still get away with spelling it, though. But there's no way to eat it without them knowing ...

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Is your ice cream low-fat? Because if it's not, it doesn't help heartburn the way you think. In fact, it might ultimately make the situation worse. Fatty foods tend to increase the amount of acids in the stomach, increasing the likelihood of experiencing heartburn. Trust me with this one, I've had my entire digestive tract examined thoroughly over the last couple of months and have received talks about what helps and what hurts with regards to heartburn and the like by numerous doctors of various specializations...

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Seriously Kevin, must you know everything about every subject? You're forgetting that my situation is different than yours in that in your case you don't have a giant bulge resting below your stomach rendering it the size of a flat little pancake...or something like that.

When you're pregnant, anything goes, whatever works. So far - milk, bananas, watermelon and ice cream. The milk obviously is a base, therefore neutralizing the acid. As for the banana and watermelon, the best I can figure is that there is some enzyme in them to that breaks down the acid. And for ice cream, well that's obvious, IT'S JUST PLAIN MAGIC.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

It has nothing to do with knowing everything about every subject. It has to do with having relavent experiences in this area. You're lucky I'm so disorganized or you'd be receiving in the mail the literature that my doctor gave me about this very subject.

Milk and milk products feel good going down initially, but exacerbate the problem in the long run.

Whether a food is acid or base has absolutely nothing to do with stomach acid. Base foods do not in any way, shape, or form neutralize stomach acid. I'm sorry that you don't like when I'm right about something, but it's not even about what I believe. I'm just trying to relate to you what quite a number of doctors have told me very recently.

But, here...don't take my word for it...

http://www.healthcastle.com/acid_reflux.shtml

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/heartburn-foods-to-avoid

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/418/main.html

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/47/73.cfm

I understand that your situation is different because you're pregnant and that the baby presses up against your stomach, which is probably the actual cause of the heartburn. All I'm saying is that doesn't change what types of things aleviate the problem and what things exacerbate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines