Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I now know how I'll embarrass him when he's a teenager

I make Sabine's food from scratch and freeze it for future use. So far she's just had bites of food that don't amount to much and she doesn't seem interested in anything but milk and rice puffs.

The other day there was some applesauce that needed to be finished up because it'd been thawed for a couple days and Sabine had only put a dent in it. I asked Jacob if he wanted to finish the applesauce. "Yeah, sure!" he exclaimed (he loves homemade applesauce). Then he hesitated and with a scrunched face, asked "Is there breast milk in it?" I told him that there wasn't but asked what his answer would be if there was milk in it. He said he wouldn't want it.

I wondered aloud what would be so bad about the milk. I can't remember the reason he gave me, but it makes me feel a little sad that half his life ago he was still nursing and that he got so much comfort from the very thing he now turns his nose up at.

I was curious what Jacob would do if he wanted a drink of milk but we were out of cows' milk. He said he'd go to the store and buy it. I kept the scenario going:

"How would you get to the store?"

"I'd take the van." (excuse me?)

"What if there was a big snow storm and you couldn't drive on the roads?"

"I'd walk."

"Well say there was so much snow that you were completely stuck in the house and the only two choices were to have no milk or breast milk?"

"I'd have cows' milk."

"No, you can't have that. It's not one of the choices. So which would you choose."

"I'd get a big snow plow (or some such crazy plan) and dig out the snow and drive to the store."

"No, you can't do that. Your only choices are NO milk or BREAST milk."

"Well, I'd get the cows to come over and they'd give me milk."

"JACOB! Forget the snow! If there was no cows' milk anywhere would you rather go without milk at all, or would you drink my milk?"

"Oh. I'd have no milk."


I can picture it ten years down the road, he'll have friends over and I'll come into the room with a tray of snacks..."Would anyone like some cookies and breast milk?"

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines