Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dear Not Sabine

I can't remember the last time I wrote a 'Dear Sabine' letter. Mostly it's because Sabine is so crazy, so it's her fault anyway. She's like this toddler trapped in a 10 month old body. Haha, I just thought of something, she's like Benjamin Button, although I didn't see the movie (yet).

Sabine is just like Jacob was at this age. She is so fast - she'll be halfway up the staircase before I even realize it. Yes, she's mastered crawling up the stairs already. She has impeccable fine motor skills, picking up something the size of a head of a pin at the first try. She crawls into a room, scans the scenery and decides instantly what she can go after. And she usually gets to it. Already most of the shelves are reachable. And if there's something she can't reach she gets high on her tippy toes and goes for it. I swear once or twice I've seen her lift her body off the floor chin-up style.

Don't get me started on the things she's been putting in her mouth. It's been a real picnic. Also, she grabs at things when you're carrying her around the house. I'll be washing her hands, scrubbing the right one and all of a sudden she waving the soap dish around in the air with her left hand. Nothing is safe. All of this is too early. I'm not ready for this.

Also, there's the thing where she follows me around non-stop. She wants me, only me, and me NOW. If someone else is holding her, that's not ok, whether I'm in the room or not. She crawls just as fast I as can walk, so she's there all the time, literally a little ankle biter. She grabs at my legs and trips me up. Needless to say, I've been pretty annoyed. But God Damn is she cute.

Then there's the thing that Jacob's been doing: He's been asking ass-dumb questions. Like completely obvious things. Or questions that I have no idea about the answer to. Today in a parking lot: Why is that man walking up that hill? I have no freaking idea. Does it look like I know that man? Why are you putting the glue in that drawer? Because that's they drawer it always gets stored in. I can't think of any good examples, but maybe your five year old is like this too? Over the weekend one of our little five year old friends, Emma, asked me if the marker she had in her hand worked, but she was already coloring with it, and it very obviously worked. "I don't know, silly, you tell me." I told her. I've noticed this about Emma before, and I'm going to have to pay attention to other five year olds because so far it appears that this is the equivalent of the two year old's constant WHY? line of questioning.

Well that's today in a nutshell, annoyance from every angle.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger BeckieB said...

OMG!!! That is my sons to a tee!!! Especially the older one, who has been doing it since he was about 3. Both parts - the questioning about strangers and their motivations (I have no f-ing idea!!) and totally stupid, obvious things - is there any soap in the CLEAR bottle that I am looking at this very moment in front of my eyes? ARGH! My standard answer is like yours - Well, what do YOU think? I notice this happenns a lot more when they are tired. Go figure!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger emmay said...

Ruthie started doing it when she was about about 3 1/2. Actually, I'd say the last six months she's almost completely stopped doing it. Her big one was "Why are we driving this way to school?" Um, because we drive this way EVERY SINGLE GODDAMMED DAY YOU HAVE SCHOOL and it's the only way to get there. I'm waiting for Helen to start, but she might be too busy plotting revenge for whatever I've done recently to piss her off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines