Friday, September 14, 2007

I've been avoiding it...

We so love our Nalgene water bottles. Even though I've been hearing for a long time now that they are not good for you, I tried to remain naive for as long as I could. I only had a vague idea of what it is about them - that when exposed to extreme temperatures, they leach 'chemicals'. Just what chemicals, and where they are going is what I was avoiding. I've been scouring the shelves at every kind of store for stainless steel water bottles, but I can't find them anywhere so I've been trying to hold out on realizing that we need to get rid of our Nalgenes. They are just so pretty with all the colors and choices...and they're not cheap, so to just toss them would be very painful.

Anyway, here's some links and a brief summary of what I've come up with in the last hour or so.

Detox Nalgene gives the best information in the most brief way.

Klean Kanteen
, an alternative to the plastic bottles.

The Green Guide talks more about why they are bad, and states that #2 and #4 Nalgene bottles are available, but I can't find any information on the Nalgene website telling me which bottles are made from 2 and 4, versus #7 (=bad).

~ Most Nalgene water bottles are made from polycarbonate plastic, also known as #7. Polycarbonate plastic is made from bisphenol A, also known as BPA.

~ These containers leach endocrine-harming chemicals (in the form of BPA) into the water, thus your body, when exposed to extreme temperatures, but also just over time if the water is left in the bottle. Also, as the water bottle ages, the amount of chemicals it leaches grows.

~
#2, high-density polyethylene (HDPE), and #4, low-density polyethylene (LDPE) are the safer alternatives which don't leach BPA, if you can figure out which ones those are!

Wow...looks like I have to start figuring out our replacements. Detox Nalgene gives some helpful ideas as to what you can do with your old bottles (I do love storage containers!) which I've pasted below. If I've gotten any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me. I mean, don't say something like, "No, that's not true, they're completely safe." But if some of my details are off, go for it.

  • Turn your Nalgene into a pen and pencil holder
  • Loose change receptacle
  • A new home for rubber bands and paper clips and other desk supplies
  • Use if for a flower vase
  • Turn your old Nalgene into a handy toiletries kit by placing smaller, sealed containers inside
  • If you change the oil in your car yourself put the used motor oil in the Nalgene for transporting it to the proper disposal place
  • Use it in a sculpture!
  • Storage for random things, including: nails, screws, outlet adapters, etc

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

A recent post from Stacey on my blog:

"By the way, I'm pleased to see a water bottle in every picture, but where's the one from Yellowstone?"

So...if you've been thinking about this for a while, but you recently made the above statement on my blog...does that mean you're trying to kill me?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Funny that you posted this... I just ordered last week (and hope to get it in Monday) new water bottles for the boys and myself. I got them from www.mysigg.com. They have cute designs to choose from (to compensate for your delighful colors that you are going to miss) and two sizes for kids, as well as several sizes for adults, with several different lids/spouts for your preference. They aren't cheap either, but I figured a good investment.

I looked at Kleen Kanteen, but honestly they weren't as 'pretty.' Plus, they are manufactured in China, and right now I am having an issue with buying things manufactured in China with all the recalls lately...

HTH ~ I'll have to show you my bottles when they come in! :)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger emmay said...

ACK!! I was blissfully unaware that my beautiful ruby red Nalgene was toxic??!!
Funny (or not), at the LL Bean grand opening they had a couple of displays featuring rainbows of Nalgenes. How do they not know?
Now the question, since my children don;t drink from Ruby, how do I part with her? Cold turkey, a slow weaning?

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Yes, Kevin, I am trying to kill you. That is by far the most reasonable explanation I would expect one to come up with. You know, dork, you can easily replace those lids. What it means actually is that I wouldn't expect you to actually listen to me about that, so I never bothered mentioning it. And if you'll remember, I explicitly told you a long time ago not to put it in the dishwasher. Lastly, now that you know this...what are you going to do???

Laura - I agree, I didn't much care for the looks of the kleen kanteen. I really like the ones you ordered! I think it just might be worth the investment. I'm going to check it out. And thanks for pointing out that they're made in China, I hadn't realized that.

emmay - the thing about them *not knowing* is I guess it depends on who you ask. I think they 'know', but then if you ask someone else, they'll say there's no issue..so it's really all about what you choose to believe. You mean your kids do, or don't drink from it? As for parting, I'd say cold turkey! But considering you've named her and applied an gender...you've got a tricky situation on your hands! ;-)

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

What am I going to do???

Oh, well, you know, I was thinking I'd just dip into my camera fund to buy me one of them new-fangled polyethylene bottles when I get time to go and look.

I wasn't too hot about Kleen Kanteen either. Metal containers are for hot coffee, not cold water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines