Saturday, February 13, 2010

Providing for the family

Despite the fact that's it's the middle of winter, in our house it's never too cold for ice cream. We have the ice cream maker that you roll around to make ice cream, and we use it a lot. I'd decided we needed some coffee ice cream to go along with the opening ceremony of the Olympics so as the evening progressed we were all pretty bent on having that particular treat.

The one ingredient that seems to be the most difficult to keep around is the actual ice that you put on the outside to freeze the other ingredients. It takes a lot more ice than I can make in the freezer, so usually Zach gets the ice from the college if we've done a good job of planning ahead. A couple times this year we've just used snow, I think that was actually Jacob's idea. So when we were faced with the situation where I'd completely forgotten about the ice, I naturally thought to get some snow from outside.

I guess I hadn't realized the tiny bit of snow that had fallen earlier that day was mostly gone. Zach told me to scrap the idea altogether, but I couldn't let go of it so I snuck outside with a pair of gloves and scraped snow from the walkway. I felt pretty ridiculous out there carrying out my idea of hunter-gatherer but I came in ten minutes later with a ball full of packed snow and we had our ice cream to help kick off Olympics '10.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Did you know in advance that one of the US women's skiers...Hannah Kearney...was going to have a Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor--coffee and cookies--named after her?

Hmmm...did you also know that Hannah Kearney attended Hanover High School where I used to have that summer painting job? Actually, she would have been there during the time that I worked there....

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger xmas said...

No, I didn't, but that sounds like a good excuse to try it! Except I gave up ice cream for Lent! That's pretty cool that she went to the high school where you painted. How do you know that, did you date her? hahaha.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Uhh...define "date."

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Stop it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines