Friday, July 09, 2010

Day 19: Devil's Paintbrush

I took a series of pictures of Jacob picking these flowers for me just before I mowed. It was hard to pick my favorite because they were all so natural and peaceful looking. I took this at the same time I shot the mushroom. The lawn hadn't been mowed yet this year and all sorts of beautiful things had taken over. I hated to mow it all down so I asked Jacob if he'd pick some flowers for me and he was all over that (just as I knew he would be).

The 'flowers' he's picking, I'm told by wikipedia, are considered 'noxious weeds' in several parts of Canada, the US and Australia. They have always been one of my very favorites, I just think they're so beautiful mixed in with all the wild grasses. For most of my life I actually thought they were called Indian Paintbrush and it wasn't until I was taking a plant biology class in college that I learned they're not. I still think of them as Indian Paintbrush in my head though because that sounds better to me. Also, I've also just learned from Wikipedia that it shares its name with a type of machine gun, and there's the whole invasive species aspect too. So Indian Paintbrush it is.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines