Sunday, August 01, 2010

Day 42: Red Lady

This little lady was spotted along the old railroad bed up at Camp last weekend. I don't know much about ladybugs...like for instance, are they really all 'ladies'? And there are a bunch of tiny creepy crawlies on the plant next to her (seen on the left in this photo). Are those perhaps ladybug nymphs? I have no idea. Also, is the saying about the number of spots they have true?

Taking photos of things in nature like this inspires me to learn more about them. So off I go to read about ladybugs.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Pegeen said...

Don't know if you figured this out in your research, but the insects on the other plant may have been aphids (can't tell from the photo), which is what ladybugs eat. That's why ladybugs are beneficial. Aphids eat plants, ladybugs eat aphids. Here's a photo of them together http://www.theshirtfarmer.com/home/good_bug_vs_bad_bug

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger xmas said...

I did learn in researching that those are not ladybug nymphs. Ladybug nymphs look like alligators, or at least that's what that say. I think they just look more like something prehistoric.

I also learned that ladybugs eat aphids, I just didn't make the connection that that is what is on the other plant. Thanks for connecting those dots!

And to answer my other questions, they are not all female (duh), but I can't remember what I read about how they got their name. And the spots have nothing to do with age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines