Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Word of the Day

Jacob started talking at an average age. He's still talking, and a lot. Talking my ear off, actually. And lately he's been using some pretty big words.

"I just remembered fumping!"

"Actually, I don't want to."

"Anyway...." (one of my favorites)

Things like that. I'm sure I'll think of more later. So he uses these correctly and it's pretty cool to be able to have real conversations with him. It's pretty surreal. Lately he's been picking up these other words and they must sound neat to him, so he naturally wants to use them.

"You're gen-e-ous!" he says to me last week and then cackles away like he's just delivered the best insult. Thanks Jakie, yes, I am a genius.

Tonight while reading a book he announced, "This book is making me jealous." I don't quite know what he was getting at with that one...but I'll give him credit for creative use of the word.

Basically anything ending -ious is fair game these days. Coming home from Pumpkin Fest on Saturday we spent a good portion of the boring, in-the-dark ride going down the alphabet coming up with words that fit the bill. Jacob had previously established that there were already 3 of these such words. We spent the week prior having this back and forth conversation to each other:

Him: You're curious!
Me: Well you're serious!
Him: No, you're gen-e-ous!
Me: Yeah? You're delerious! (my favorite, as it actually applies to the conversation and was thought up on the spot. Necessity is the mother of invention, right?)

My favorite by far though, is the "Prove it!" exchange we have at random intervals throughout the day. I can't quite remember how this one started, but a few weeks ago there was something I wanted him to do, he was refusing on grounds of some made-up excuse (ie, "my tummy is very full") and I said "Yeah? Prove it." He really hit the ground running with that one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines