Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday

My wall calendar in the kitchen tells me that today is 'International Buy Nothing Day'. I understand this as an alternative to Black Friday, and I think it's great. But the details person in me wants to know all the parameters of this 'day'; seriously, I am a bonafide obsessive-compulsive, and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Like does this mean I cannot buy an actual product? Can it be a service rendered that I am paying for, or no money exchanged at all? Now what if I am bed-ridden and I send Zach out for all the requisite sick items (ice cream, medicine, orange juice), do I still win by technicality for not buying anything myself? Ordinarily if one were to just stay at home all day it would be easy to not buy anything. However, we are living in the internet age. If I 'win' something on ebay, but wait until tomorrow to follow-through with payment, have I found a loophole, or just cheated?

All this is beside the point. My point is that this is a relatively easy concept in theory, but when put in to practice it becomes harder. I became inspired by this challenge and decided to make up my own 'No Internet Day'. I'm not sure yet when I'll do this, but it will be soon. Again, this is something that seems like it would be easy, but when faced with the reality of it, fears arise? Well to start I'm going to make it easy for myself. It's going to be a day when I already plan to be away from the house for a long time. It would be too much of a temptation if I was near the computer all day. The hardest part of this I think is going to be the fact that I know I'll be missing out on all of the activity that's going on without me. With that said, I should have made today the day because NO ONE was around (meaning, on the computer) all day. I wouldn't have missed much, but hey, hindsight is 20/20. Yesterday also was a slow internet day. So I guess it would be too easy for me to say "I'll do it on Christmas!" There has to be some level of difficulty involved.

So there you have it. Some day, soon. I promise. Just not yet. And for the record, I did not buy anything today. Take that Black Friday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines