Thursday, November 23, 2006

There's No Use Crying Over Spilt Milk

Last Saturday when the milk delivery came Jacob rushed to the door to bring in the (glass) bottles. He helps with this every week but he is always careful and has never had an accident. Before the milk came we'd been in the kitchen, just starting to make the soup that I was taking to dinner with friends that evening. I don't know what Jacob was doing on the other side of the kitchen when he dropped the bottle of milk. He dropped it though, and it broke. Our house is slightly slanted, just enough to allow for several trails of milk to flow simultaneously toward the fridge, cupboards, under the shelves, down the basement stairs and to the other side of the kitchen. I didn't have enough towels for all the streams of milk so I headed off the ones that I thought could do the most destruction. There was broken glass everywhere.

First I had to get the dogs out of the way, and then settle Jacob in with some snacks and a video. The I surveyed the damage. I only had 3 hours left to get the soup cooked, the mess cleaned up, both me and Jacob ready for our outing. I decided I would need backup for this one. My mom and Jamie saved the day by coming over to help. Papa played with Jacob in the backyard while my mom helped with the soup and I cleaned up the milk mess. There's also a hole in the floor, next to the wall, but under the table the microwave sits on. Having decided to tackle the mess from the outside in, I didn't get to the part under the table until an hour later. Directly under the table, in the basesment, is Zach's tool bench. It just keeps getting worse, huh? I had to go down there and clear half the table off and bring that stuff upstairs to wash.

Talk about broken glass, earlier tonight I put the leftover Thanksgiving pie in the microwave for safe keeping. I usually keep the cover to a glass dish (I broke the bottom half last year) in the microwave for when we heat things that might splatter. I had set that on top of the microwave and I guess slammed the door a little too hard because the top slid right onto the ground, breaking into a bazillion pieces. This was actually the 4th time in 6 days that we had a major cleanup in the kitchen, and on the kitchen floor.

Click here for idioms & proverbs

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines