Monday, November 20, 2006

The Long-Awaited Season 6!

Zach and I just sat down to watch season 6 of the Gilmore Girls! We just got back from the library where it was finally up for grabs. There's only two copies of it in the entire 29 library system, and since season 6 is the most recent on dvd I guess it's popular because I haven't been able to get my hands on it, until now.

Our Gilmore Girls obsession began months ago when, I don't know, I must have been looking up Alexis Bledel on one of my favorite websites, imdb.com. I'd known of the show and maybe watched it a few times, but I hadn't had more than a passing interest in it. I guess my list of movies to get had run dry so I borrowed the dvd and it was love at first sight...

You only have so many days to watch the entire season and then you either have to return it or start paying a hefty per-day late fee. So I started staying up late to watch it, and then really late because I liked the show so much I found I couldn't turn it off - to do that would be like pulling my life line. Then I started taking my laptop to bed to watch it there...I would doze off, and wake up, rewind it...Zach would yell from the other side of the bed, "Would you just turn it off already!" He just didn't understand.

Then I made him watch one day...

...And from then on I had someone to share the Gilmore Girls with. But Zach got busy doing a lot of side jobs (interior house painting) and some nights he wasn't around. I couldn't wait, so I just started watching it by myself again, except that now Jacob was hooked. I know this sounds bad, but honestly, this show is more wholesome than most Disney movies. There's hardly any swearing or violence, and it's just a really cute show; quippy, fast-paced, loaded with pop-culture references which makes you feel smart when you get them.

The weeks went by and all moments of the day became either time spent watching Gilmore Girls, or not watching Gilmore Girls. When Jacob asked for a video, it was usually the Gilmore Girls. "Dilmore Dirls," he says.

And then we got to the end of season 5.

I'd been checking the library website everyday for season 6, but it was always checked out so I decided to let it go for a while. I think I got over it after a couple weeks, but Jacob has still been talking about the show. He'd tell anyone who asked that "Mommy is trying to get season 6." Sometimes he just refers to the show as 'Lorelia' (the lead character), or he sees pictures in a magazine and says, "That looks like Lorelia." We've been catching the current episodes as they air on Tuesday nights, but it's really not the same experience for us (commercials, no instant-replay option, only one episode at a time), plus going out of order in the seasons is weird, so we end up finding other things to do and missing half of the show.

Anyway, here we are watching season 6. Jacob fell asleep in the car on the way to the library; he will be so pleased in the morning to find out about our recent acquisition. Before the library we stopped at Dunkin Donuts to get Jacob a little treat, a 'finkles donut', that's sprinkles, incase you couldn't figure it out. It was just after 8, apparently the time that the one near our house closes. I was surprised to find that out. I'm not complaining - just surprised - because how long do we really need the donut shop to stay open til? We said we'd stop at the next D & D to see if they were open. Jacob fell asleep before we even got there. But you know he's going to wake up in the morning (please God in the morning and not the middle of the night) asking after his donut. So we stopped anyway (this one was open til midnight) and got a donut, but they were out of sprinkle ones. Luckily I had to go to my mom's to drop off a different season of the Gilmore Girls that I got for she and Jamie at the library, as I've gotten them hooked too. At my mom's I picked up a little bottle of sprinkles so I can do some 'doctoring' to the plain, glazed donut in the morning.

It was just a donut kind of day, I guess. After last night I think we all deserve a treat for getting through it alive. Jacob was up many more times after I wrote about the night terrors. It seems his legs hurt too? His legs hurting used to wake him up all the time, but I thought that ended a few months ago so I never ended up mentioning it to the doctor when we were there a couple weeks ago. I'd read about a syndrome or something and was going to ask him about it, but then it really didn't seem like an issue anymore. Zach tends to think it's growing pains. I don't know anything about that because at 5' 1" I guess I never really experienced enough growing to have pains about it. But my husband, at 6'2", vividly recalls the memories.

So after a restless night, I got up to get the house ready for dear Evy's arrival. It doesn't matter that Jacob and I were so tired, because we just love Evy so much. After our long day together, with Evy just out the door, Jacob kind of mumbled half to himself, half proclaiming his feelings to the world, "I weally wike Evy..." *heart swelling*

A few hours later, with bedtime (quite an elusive term to us, and I use it very loosely) fast approaching - I just mean he was getting really tired (cranky) - Jacob was upstairs, but well within my earshot, trying to convince Zach he had not yet watched a video (liar). "I swear to God I really want to watch a video..." he whined. Yeah, we know you want it that badly. I think he just meant "I want to watch a video so badly that I am willing to lie to you so here's it goes, I swear to God I didn't watch one yet." Or something like that...he was just so tired that he didn't know what he was saying, so we credited him with 'cuteness' points and popped in something mellow to wind down with.

Some other highlights from the day: A playgroup at a friend's house where Jacob learned a cute turkey song. Then someone pointed out a (fake) turkey on the front lawn of the neighbor's yard and he came running across the room, leaping into my arms for safety. Hehe...anything new and different he is afraid of. So when we got home, with Evy fast asleep upstairs, Jacob and I sat down for some computer time and we learned all about turkeys. That was perfect to write about in my new unschooling notebook. Just yesterday I started 'documenting' his 'learning' for our great, untraversed homeschooling experience. I hoping with this as proof, friends and family (and Zach) will start taking my endeavor seriously. I am wicked excited about it! Just think, anything you want to learn, you can just go ahead and read about it when the urge strikes. Jakie asked today where hockey pucks come from. "I don't know," I said, "but I know how we can find out." And just like that we had a neat little web page right there, telling us everything we wanted to know. Did you know that the first puck was created when someone in Canada got pissed about his window being broken, so he took the ball the players had been using and chopped off the top and bottom of it before giving it back to them? You tell me in what school they teach you stuff like that...

Yeah, ok, that's enough for tonight. Sorry that these are becoming so long. I'm working on condensing my thoughts...just haven't figured out how to do that yet.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines