Thursday, January 25, 2007

The 'S' Word


Friday: It snowed! Jacob woke up so excited to see the white stuff just barely covering the ground. I spent extra time getting him into his snowsuit before we left the house so that he could play in the snow when we got to the meeting of my moms' group book club at the home of another mother. He didn't want to go in the snow (which was actually fine with me at the time). We got home and I forced a still-unwilling Jacob into the backyard to play. We spent 30 minutes out there and I took about 50 pictures (no lie). Jacob fought another nap, or maybe this was the day that he finally went down without a fight. Either way it was at least the fifth day of him napping at about the same time of day. We are currently on a 10 day stretch of taking naps at the same time of day (give or take 45 minutes) and this is the closest thing we've ever had to a schedule. I started trying to get Jacob off of naps probably 3/4 of a year ago, but I think he's having another growth spurt now or something.

Please know that I am not proud of this next part: I think Friday was the day that Jacob asked while crossing the room toward me, "Mommy, why do you sometimes say 'dammit' or 'fuck it'?" Oy. I will fess up to the dammit part; however, when relating the story to Zach, he didn't hesitate is admitting the latter phrase is from him. Let me remind you that he is doing most of the construction here himself, and he is a prefectionist about that stuff, so the curses naturally flow from him mouth. We've been having talks with Jacob about this and we're definitely getting through to him, as evidenced by Jacob's oft-repeated lecture (to most everyone we come in contact with), "We don't say dammit, or fuck it, or kick peoples' asses." Ahem...I won't get into where the last one came from.

Anyway, previously to it having snowed, Jacob kept asking what day all the snow was going to fall from the sky. Like it was one big event that we had marked on the calendar. It's been so warm and pleasant these past couple months, how do you explain to someone with no memory of previous winter weather that snow is something that's supposed to be around all season? I kind of feel like to tell him that, he would feel cheated out of a northeast winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines