Friday, July 25, 2008

There's running hand-in-hand on the beach in my future...

I took Jacob to the library today. While he was busy with his 'kid at the library' stuff, I was skimming the parenting shelf. I guess it's because I have a daughter now that I was so apt to notice all the 'mother/daughter bond' books. I also noticed that they all featured a black and white photo on the cover of a mother and daughter holding hands and running on the beach. There was only one book that veered from this theme and even that was just slightly different - it was in a meadow with the mother holding her daughter above her head.

Apparently these are the things you do when you have a girl? I guess at some point in the next several years I should expect to experience the glee of frolicking in the wet sand with Sabine...

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger VW said...

well - that all sounds a bit sexist to me - ha!ha! I've run on the beach & frolicked in the waves with my son - just as idyllic as running with a daughter.

Now - you know me Stacy from my blog! - I tend to "over analyze" these sorts of things - but doesn't it seem like we of the female persuasion are being a bit cute-sified by such photos?

aren't you glad I dropped by ?!

hope all is well with you,
Anna

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger BlueSunshine said...

I actually had a beach experience with both (boy and girl) today and it was so sweaty and sandy, no one did any frolicks or wispy anything. We lugged the towels to the sand, took the children to the water (both topless as it was) and then back to the hot car. Tears were shed. So feel secure that you will have a Parent-Of-Two Experience in the future and none of that fluffy stuff.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Yes, that does sound sexist...also kind of cheesy. And yes, Anna, I'm glad you dropped by! Good to hear from you!

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger emmay said...

If only it were all "strolling in the sand" with my girls. I'm pretty sure the alternate cover shot for at least one of those books involved the daughter, in the midst of a full-blown meltdown, kicking sand at the mother. Or maybe it involved a toddler, screaming incessantly because she can't have the cracker she refused to ask for (sound familiar) being carried to the car under the arm of her mother, who is also balancing the remnants of lunch, three wet towels, sand toys and other assorted paraphernalia, while the other daughter tripes over a tree root and lands face first in the dirt. This is all taking place as we walk uphill. Where was the photographer that day?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines