Saturday, July 12, 2008

Caffeine Junkie

It was a year ago at this time that we were on our cross-country trip and I was introducing Zach to the Heavenly joy of the Starbucks Frappuccino and gradually sneaking in extra espresso as part of my grand scheme to turn him into a coffee drinker like me. It wasn't until a couple months later that I fully succeeded, but that I did and I am no longer the lone coffee drinker in our household. It's nice having company in the morning over which to share a pot of coffee.

Well now we're going through it like there's no tomorrow. I was buying my awesome Green Mountain Magic Espresso Blend until Zach started tapping into it more than once a day. The cost just got too high and we recently had to switch to a cheaper brand. It's like that gave him permission to drink twice as much in a day, and I was drinking less than normal because I was pregnant. My taste for coffee has come back full blast now since giving birth but still Zach seems to be more of a fiend than me.

Yesterday I told he him couldn't stop drinking coffee if he wanted to. He said no way and then followed it with the addicts' dead give-away statement. "I can stop whenever I want to." So I said prove it, stop now, etc, etc. I told him I dared him to go three whole days without coffee. He could drink it again when the new week started. "But can I just have one more cup?" He pleaded. I told him it had to be cold turkey or it didn't count. I said that's how I gave up meat when I was 15, with no warning that I was about to declare myself a vegetarian. If I could go for a lifetime without dead animal flash, then he could certainly go three days without coffee.

Well this afternoon I was hankering for a second round 'o coffee but was trying to be polite and wait until Zach went outside to work in the backyard so he wouldn't smell the sweet aroma of brewing coffee and be teased. While I was waiting, I was nursing the baby on the couch and don't you know he comes around the corner with my glass of water in one hand and a cup of coffee pressed to his lips in the other hand. "Hey! You're drinking coffee! I knew you couldn't do it." I yelled. And then I told him that I had wanted a cup too and he should have offered to make a full pot so I could have some. He told me that he thought I'd yell at him for giving in to the temptation and didn't want me to know. I guess he should have tried to sneak that coffee while I was out this morning. Men are so stupid sometimes.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Do you all like really dark roasts? Prime Roast in Keene makes this really, really good dark roast they call "Demon Roast". Maybe next time you are in Keene you should get a pound to try or next time I am there I can pick some up for you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines