Thursday, August 28, 2008

Beanie goes to the movies

When Jacob was a baby Zach and I took him along with us to a movie. He slept the whole time except for once when he woke up and all I had to do them was pop him on to nurse before he even made a peep. It was the most liberating feeling of my new motherhood experience; being able to have a baby and still maintain a social life. Zach, on the other hand, was extremely embarrassed to have a baby in a movie theater. He said he'd never do it again (I don't know why, it went off without a hitch) and has kept his word.

When I found out that The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was coming out with a sequel (finally) my friend Jen and I planned to go together because she is my movie buddy and we saw the first one together. This was back mid-pregnancy (when I heard about the movie). I'd been waiting a long time to go and giggle and act like adolescents again (we met in fifth grade). Jen, a new mother herself, couldn't be happier about accompanying my baby and me to the movie. We went last night, I popped Beanie into the sling and the night went off without a hitch. She was awake when we arrived but I nursed her at the beginning of the movie and she slept in my arms the rest of the time.

I actually didn't think the movie was that great. I think if a person hasn't read the books they would have a hard time following what was going on. Because they squeezed the last three books of the series into one movie they had to skip huge parts of the plot and leave out certain characters I was looking forward to finding out who they cast for the part. It was good to get out though and hang out with Jen (who, by the way, can't keep her hands off Beanie). I'm pretty sure she's in love with her just like I'm in love with her little boy, Joey. Jen and Dan are going to be Sabine's Godparents.

Anyway, I'm skipping around here. I guess some people think it's weird, but I can't go anywhere without my babies when they are new. I use the excuse that "She only gets it from the tap," but really, I don't want to leave her. For some reason I feel like that's abnormal in the eyes of others and they won't understand. I don't know why it should be that way. It would feel unnatural to me to leave a person who is basically like a fifth limb, attached to me by invisible heart strings, so soon after giving birth.

Well, now you know my secret that I am a sucker for queer chick flicks.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines