Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another Six Weeks...

 Well it's been a couple weeks since Punxsutawney Phil declared six more weeks of winter weather.  At least I think he did?  I figure it's pretty hard to pop your head out of a hole in the ground when that hole is covered with three feet of dense snow.  So I'm just going to assume that by the presence of snow on the ground that he made his decision remotely this year.
I've lived in the northeast my whole life and this is the first winter like this that I can remember.  There have been many, many storms and they've been big storms, often with a foot of snow falling over the course of the day.  Jacob's had three school cancellations (unless it was 4.  We lost count) and at least three 2-hour delays.
 I'm sure I've lived through winters like this before, but I don't remember them like I'll remember this one.  Usually snow falls, then it melts, more snow falls, that melts to reveal the still-green grass, and the cycle goes on for a few months.  When I was a kid, adults were always telling me I hadn't experienced a 'real winter' because you don't usually see the green grass in between snowfalls.  Well now at least my kids have experienced a real upstate winter.
12/22/10 - the first accumulation, though you can see it wasn't really enough to cover the unraked leaves.
 

12/27/10- now that's some snow
 
All covered up - it's been a COLD winter too!

1/1/11 - sleigh riding on New Year's Day
1/12/11- actual flakes accumulating on our bodies
 


1/17/11 - Atop the picnic table

Sledding down a giant mound of snow with friends


 

1/27/11 - who says the swing set is useless in the winter...
 

1/28/11 Clearing off the roof of the playhouse with Nate and Harry
 
2/3/11 - that snowbank in our driveway is more than twice her height!

With the aid of the snow, she just may escape this time.
Understandably exhausted
  
2/6/11 - she's walking on top of the snow because it's covered with ice now

 That giant icicle isn't going anywhere

Having some 'refreshments'

Ice fort

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines