Monday, January 29, 2007

More three year-old stuff

"The other day when me and Bob were at the construction, Wendy was on the way and we were jackhammering the hole already. Later in the day Wendy was back home digging out Bob's house."

Just an example of some of the things that go on here during the day. I know Bob's around on a daily basis, but I've yet to see a bill from him, or a paycheck written out to Jacob's name. Perhaps Bob himself is expecting a paycheck; if so, he's got another thing coming because even though he likes to talk to Jacob about all the work they're gonna do, I haven't seen any real results. And if by results he thinks the hammer marks on our walls and the torn up linoleum floor of the intact downstairs bathroom count, then I ought to be sending
him a bill. Yes, Jacob was the one weilding the tools that committed these egregious acts, but Bob was the one giving all the orders. I also take issue with the machines he's been sending over here at all hours of the day to deliver 'sheetrock', 'plaster', '2x1's', whatever it be. Lofty, Scoop, and especially Muck have been leaving toys strew in their wake; things that just should't be on the floor. Many times I have stepped on those wooden blocks ('bricks') with the pointy, pointy corners, tripped over the piles of pillows ('insulation') and almost impaled myself with the real screws that I find hidden in secret three year-old places.

Bob is not entirely to blame, I suppose. Jacob has been inspired by the work around our house. Sometimes he is simply acting on the orders he likes to tell me came from Zach. Jacob gets completely disheartened when I have to get no the phone to Zach at work and clarify that, "Daddy wants you to wait til he gets home so that you can do the work
together." Speaking of the addition: No further progress in the upstairs bathroom, and I won't tell you that I'm expecting Andy to come to put the last coat of spackle on tonight, because then it wouldn't happen. However, the electric was put in last weekend, and this past week/weekend Zach insulated the addition, the basement floor was poured, and yesterday Richard (Zach's step-father) came over to help put the sheetrock up (I helped too!).

Some of the sayings:

Last week there was a two or three day stretch where Jacob and I were in the mood for classical music so we had that station on in the house and the car whenever the radio was on. Jacob had been saying to each new piece that, "This is my favorite song!" But all of a sudden one day he told me the sad music was on. I agree that is was sad, but how the heck does he know what music is 'sad' and what is not?

It's been a trying few weeks around our house so I've had to 'remind' Zach about a lot of things, repeatedly. The man word for this polite reminding is , I believe, nagging. Anyway, 'Dear' is the patronizing word that Zach uses in response to my plees to get certain things done; as in "Yeeees Dear." So now when Jacob is in a particulary manly mood he uses the phrase too.

"Jacob, please come pick these things up."

"Yes, Dear. I'll be there in a minute, Deeeaar."

You know how your kids mispronounce some things but it is just too cute to correct? I love the way Jacob says 'scratching'. It comes out like this: "Evy is sassing me!" He means that her nails are digging into him, but an outsider would think she's talking back to him. And I jst can't get enough of that word! Sometimes I lead the conversation a certain way to try to get him to say cute words.

Jacob also tells me now that certain things annoy him. Yes, I use that word a lot as an explanation for why I want Jacob to stop doing something. So I naturally get it back. But it's a nice age, this number three, because I can usually count on Jacob speaking up in public about something bothersome, yet he's young enough where I can pretend to brush it aside or laugh it off because 'he just doesn't know better yet'. The best example of this is when there are parents not watching their children in any given situation and you're really, really pissed about it. Jacob pipes up and says loudly, "That kid is annoying me!" Hehe...


Anyway, I'd better get going. Jacob's getting carried away here in the basement. Nutmeg is 'missing', and since I am of no use to the search while on the computer, Jacob has enlisted the aid of Bob. The current theory is that Muck has run off with our dear rabbit. I better go find that red dumper causing all this trouble...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines