Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why did the reindeer cross the road?

In lieu of telling you about our regular ole week so far where nobody got hurt - at least nothing major - and nothing funny happened, I'll write about some of the quirky things Jacob's been saying.

When we were driving out to Vermont a couple weeks ago, a tanish, slim, streamlined dog galloped across the road just ahead of our van. In his most endearing voice, Jacob said, "Oh, look at the little reindeer," and proceeded to say how cute it was, then began to ask where it's mommy was, then started to get really upset that I could not identify the exact location of the mama 'deer' and prove that they did, indeed, reunite on the other side of the road. But don't get caught up in that. How cute is it that he thought the dog was a little reindeer??

On other occassions we'll be riding in the car and Jacob pipes up with a question. I begin to answer his question and he gets mad. "Nooo. I was talking to myfelf!" It's clear this 'talking to himself' was a retroactive decision because he started his sentence with, "Mommy?" So why the sudden onset of anger? Tonight when I told Jacob that I assumed he was talking to me because he began "Mommy why does..." he proved his point by continuing, "Jacob, how many amounts of sheetrock does Bob need?" and then "He does? Oh, ok, thanks Jacob."

While I'm on the topic, Bob is in our lives constantly. He won't go home. I know where his home is; Jacob has pointed it out to me. And he's pointed out where Bob works. Bob also happened to build the building he currently works in; Jacob should know, he was there helping out. Bob and Jacob, along with some of the machines, also built Zach's work (where Bob used to work), but just the ice rink part. He's not actually in the room with us, noo, that would be
crazy, he's just always out there somewhere nearby, ready to shoot on over here with a delivery of 2'X1's or whatever is needed for 'the job' that day. Anything that happens here can be fixed by Bob. It's safe to say that Bob is Jacob's hero. But he knows to always keep his friend at an arm's length because the illusion is a fragile one. He seems to get that if Bob is always on the go, then he's just an elusive guy, but if pressed for proof of his existence, the evidence would fall short.

I guess Bob the Builder has been giving shape and purpose to our days. Whatever is going on, whatever conversation I'm having, Jacob superimposes what he knows about Bob and fills in the blanks to create yet another story. He has a world he goes to which exists on a plane for which I lack the sensory capacity to experience. It's all there, layed out before him, the machines, the broken water main, the leaky pipes and there's this look in his eyes that he means business. Sometimes he answers the house phone when it rings and starts having a conversation with 'Bob'. He walks around with his cell phone talking to Bob, strutting around like he's the boss of everyone. The funny thing is that he actually makes sense with what he's saying. He knows the appropriate tools for whatever random thing needs to be fixed, he shouts out actual lumber measurements and uses the correct words for the situation.

I wish Bob was here earlier today to fix the folding closet door which failed to fold when I opened it. Instead it came straight out toward me, slamming into the length of my forehead. The least he could have done is called over to see if I needed a delivery of ice...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines