Friday, February 16, 2007

Where have all the snowplows gone?

This morning I was driving to another mom's house for the bookclub meeting (we read this book) and the lane I was in stopped. It just ended and turned into two and half feet of snow. There was a mass of cars trying to get out of the non-existent right lane and into the left lane that didn't budge for about four cycles through the traffic light. Apparently this in where the border is between my town and the neighboring city. So they just stopped plowing there and turned around? And the plow from the city over just decided to not plow that lane?

At that point it had been 36 hours since the snowfall had stopped. Why did the plow not come back to take care of this? It appears they pretty much packed it up after the snow stopped and went to hide in their garages. They also decided not to plow the lesser trafficked streets, and the ones they did plow haven't been cleared since before the end of the snowstorm because they've got inches of slush on them that your wheels spin through as you pass one giant snow bank after another.


We live on a main road. It started snowing around 10pm on Tuesday night. The snowplow didn't come once until it was almost dark the next day. Maybe because of the previous lack of snow around here they'd loaned 'em out and it just took that long to make it back to town? I don't know. But I do know that our trash was picked up the day of the snow, hours before we saw the plow. The mail did not come, but I completely understand that. The next day I decided I would be damned if we didn't get our mail two days in a row, so before Zach left for work I bundled up and hauled ass out to the road to dig out our mailbox. I was so proud later that day that the mail truck had deemed our mail recepticle clear enough for delivery, evidenced by the one piece of crappy junk mail awaiting me.


Nuh-uh! I kid you not, the snowplow just drove by with its plow angled down, scraping the completely cleared pavement. It's too late to make up for it now, just go find one of those other streets that haven't been touched, please.


Anyway, we're all still enjoying the snow here. Jacob and I have been out playing in it with his little friends twice each day, Mango never wants to come in. All my muscles are starting to ache from all the shoveling. And no, I will never agree to getting a snowblower - that's almost as lazy as going to the drive-through window (parents with sleeping kids or children of car-seat age excluded, of course). Ginger is the only one who doesn't care for it. We have to literally push her out the door so she can go relieve herself. She is a native of the south though, so this is understandable. I wonder what she thinks of it...

Watching the snowfall and drinking smoothies


And some snow would be perfect to wash it down with.

Cold, but not going in.
Now you see a bench...

...now you don't!


Seal Puppy



1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM, Blogger emmay said...

That tunnel pic is sooo cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines