Friday, February 02, 2007

What a world of difference.

Yesterday was such a good day. I met up with a few of the other moms and we talked about writing. We're going to start meeting regularly and I can't wait. I feel like this has been a long time coming. After that I got a ton of errands done, and things just went so smoothly. I realized that it was because I had gotten three nights of decent sleep, which means at least seven hours a night. I was rested. It's unbelievable what a difference sleep makes. When I'm tired I can't see that. I don't realize how tired I was until later when I am rested and can see outside myself a little.

Things just go more smoothly. I had to be to work early and there was no one else, so I was able to bring Jacob. I got the groceries unpacked, took care of all the creatures, packed up for Jacob to come to work with me and got us out the door in plenty of time.

Later at work I was packing up some foamy interlocking floor matts by stacking them and placing them into a garbage bag. I had actually taken the time to order them into the following pattern: Blue, red, green, yellow. Jaocb wandered over halfway through and started sorting the remaining squares. "Here, do the yellow ones first," he instructed as he took them out of my order and put them into his own. I didn't care that he was undoing my work, what struck me was that he, too, felt that the meaningless foam squares deserved an 'order' because God-knows-how-long they'll be in the basement for. Who does that? Except for me and him, I mean. We both, independent of one another and unknowing of the other's plan, sorted them into a color-coded order. If there was any question...he's definitely my son.

After this Jacob announced that he doesn't like blue anymore, yellow is his favorite color. Previously blue had been his favorite - since the beginning of when he could identify colors blue was the cat's pajamas. "You mean you still like blue, but you just like yellow more now?" I inquired. I explained that you can like more than one thing and the one you like best in your favorite. He is sticking with that so far today.

By the way, as of Thursday night, he had gone 48 hours without peeing (or the other) in his diaper/underwear. Every single time for 2 whole days happened on the potty. I do believe that is a record. You know why though...it's a story: The only remnants of our once-cloth-diapering household are the 7 Bumkins (all-in-one cloth diapers) that Jacob will never outgrow because he is such a skinny-butt. He wears 'em when I don't want him having an accident on the new couch, when we are the company at someone's house, waiting in line, etc. They're good for one pee, but after that they leak through so Jacob wears a pull-up to bed. You know they have Bob the Builder pull-ups, and so naturally that is what we get despite the damn expensive price. Anyway, I've been having trouble finding Bob pull-ups in Jacob's size (5), they've only have 4 or 6. 4 fits him but there's just not enough there to hold the amount of pee he produces in the night. 6 would just be asking for trouble (not to mention they get more costly as you go up in size). So last week I discovered the reason why I can't find Jacob's size: They are phasing out Bob in favor of Diego. It makes sense, Dora is the girl counterpart. But c'mon, my kid is hooked on Bob. He's more likely to go for Dora than Diego, and I wouldn't mind a bit except some tiny part of me actually believes the commercials where they show how the boy diaper has extra coverage 'up front' and the girl diaper protects 'in the middle'.

I have to pause here to acknowledge the absurdity of this. Since when do I care which character adorns my son's butt? To be honest, I have no idea how Jacob would take this news because I never gave him a chance to protest the phasing out of Bob. He might not give a crap. Boy did they do a number on me...

Here's where I'm going to get to my point: I've been scoping out all the stores for the remaining Bob pull-ups. Nobody has had them in the right size so everywhere I got I get a package of 6's, "For the future because I know we'll at least still be using them at night." At what point did I lost all hold of reality and begin to think this is something that even matters? Well, so I've got 4 new packages of pull-ups in size 6. Half of them were purchases in a jumbo pack on clearance at Target so I can only really be criticized for the other half. And so now with our next 6 months of diapering needs taken care of Jacob has decided to stop needing them at all.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines