Saturday, April 07, 2007

Uncle Bill would be proud...

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but apparently Jacob does. Out of the clear blue the other day, he announced to me, "When I grow up I want to be a fire fighter!" Where did he even get the idea that 'when I grow up I want to be-' is something that kids say? I didn't think kids started saying things like that til they were at least twice his age. As casually as I could, and with careful phrasing I asked Jacob, "Oh, cool. Who were you talking about that with?" He told me no one. I was shocked to hear him say that, but actually, I think I'm really proud that he's got like goals or something.

I'm sure this is merely the first in a long line of future professions Jacob will consider. Zach and I are already talking firetruck border though. I forbid him to paint Jacob's room red. That's just not a color one can sleep in. He's still pretty much in our bed, but just to keep our options open...

As for where he heard this, my only ever reasonable conclusion for things like this is Marisa. She's the only kid Jacob is around when I'm not there. On average, he's there once a week for a few hours and I try to time it so my mom is already watching Marisa. I don't know, he usually admits to things he got from Marisa, even when they're bad things (they are mostly bad). So when Jacob's developed a less-than-desirable habit, we automatically jump to the conclusion, "He must have learned that from Marisa."

Anyway, Uncle Bill, you and the kid will have something to chat about on Easter. But be careful because he's shy about it.


Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

"When I grow up I want to be..." is simply a part of the human collective unconscious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines