Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Vegetarian = NO MEAT!

Oh my God, this is worse than when we drove down south two years ago. They didn't have vegetarian options back there either, but at least they'd heard the actual word before. On pretty much this whole trip, there have been no vegetarian options. Even in Colorado, which is the state I always thought I belonged in, I still got funny looks. Perhaps I didn't go to the right places in that state.

At the KOA in CO the other day, the guy gave me a nasty look when I implied maybe they should have stuff without meat in it. Seriously, I am the one who should be mad, and I really am. I am so pissed off about this. It's a form of discrimination. Do not laugh at that statement.

Twice today in Missouri I have gotten confused looks, followed by a laugh. An actual laugh. I swear. The entire trip has been like that, but this place is the worst. At the gas station this morning they had pizza in the little case. Four pizzas, four different meat toppings, none meatless. It's not like I was out to get a pizza, but I was just wondering when I asked, "So do you have any vegetarian pizza?" Confused look. Rephrasing, "Pizza without meat?" Hahahahaha. F-you!

Then just now at the damn Taco Bell beside the gas station - I went in to get Jacob a Crunch Wrap Supreme, which is his new favorite, and ordered one "with just the beans - no meat."

The guy: (confused) "Just the beans?"
Me: "Yes. Like a vegetarian one."
The guy: "OK, so do you want beef on it?"

I swear to God!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

You know, this past residency at New England College, the vegans and vegetarians had a meeting with the chef the first day because, in past residencies, there have not been sufficient meatless options. So, it's not just a midwest problem.

However, I would point out that the states where you've experienced this problem are "red states" where conservativism and tradition are highly valued (as opposed to diversity). Maybe that has something to do with it?

Either way, I'm sure there are parts of this country where the four basic food groups are meat, dairy, poultry and corn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines