Monday, December 17, 2007

Should I be afraid?

Jacob still goes nuts with the Bob the Builder stuff. Every day is a new fantasy about different job sites, different things being delivered to the house, different projects. Lately he's been all about Pilchard (the cat), and his fantasies revolve around her. Pilchard did something bad, Pilchard ran away, Pilchard told Jacob to do something for a certain job, Pilchard is riding with Muck to make a delivery.

But anyway, I am just dying to know what it's like to be inside this World of Bob. What does it looks like to Jacob? Does he actually see this stuff happening? Does he really believe it, or does he know it's make believe? Most importantly, how can I be sure it isn't more than just make believe? Maybe 'Bob' is like a little creature that only innocent children can see and interact with. Maybe he's got a little Santa in him and you truly have to believe before he'll reveal himself to you.

I'm always prying into Jacob's pretend world, trying to get some kind of answer from him that's going to give me an idea of just what it all looks like from the inside of his head. Well yesterday I lucked out. In a flash of inspiration I thought to ask a very basic question: "How tall is Bob?" I queried. "um...about this high." Jacob answered with his hand up to his collar bone.

So Bob is actually shorter than Jacob! What an insight. Now I'm trying to picture a two-foot Bob walking around my house, ordering around the rest of the crew. It's kind of weird to think about, and it also evokes another image....one of a little red-head doll clad in overalls, toting a jagged blade, who I used to have nightmares about....and now I'm thinking it would be good to know whether or not Bob has a mean streak.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I think it's awesome that Jacob has such a strong imagination. To me, that's a really good sign. Well, you know...any time I've ever talked to him about his building jobs, he's always been very clear that they're not real jobs, they're just pretend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines