Tuesday, November 27, 2007

They can't tell us apart

I kind of have a very young voice and throughout my entire adult life I've been answering the phone to telemarketers asking to speak with my mother or father. So it wasn't surprising tonight when the lady from the American Legion called.

I've had this bad headache for a few days so I was resting on the couch while Zach was getting ready to leave for his yoga class. I guess the phone rang sometime during this period but I couldn't hear it over the noise in my head so Jacob answered it (as he often does these days). When I turned over and opened my eyes to say goodbye to Zach as he was walking out the door, Jacob was there with the phone to my face. I think I yelled something like, "Bye sweetie, be careful driving!" right into the phone. Oops. So I answered the call and the poor old lady on the other end asked me if she could talk to my daddy.

"uh...haha...no."
"Is your daddy there?"
"No."
"Well is there a veteran at your house?"
"No, but you are speaking with an adult (alerting her to the idea that she could stop talking to me like I was a five year old)."
"OK then, is Zach (pronounced like hatch with a Z) there?"
"Who??"
"ZaCH" she emphasized the 'ch' sound again
"You mean Zach? (as in 'ck')"
"Well, yes, ok."
"No, he's not."
"OK then let me tell you a little about the American Legion-"
"Ma'am? I'm kind of in the middle of something and I need to get going."
"OK, well, fine then." CLICK

Zach was waiting at the door to hear the outcome. He laughed and told me Jacob had been talking to the lady for like five minutes and he just kept repeating his name to her more clearly. Poor lady. But seriously, that's the way it goes all the time. If I answer the phone people get the idea that I'm an adult. But if Jacob answers it first and then hands it off to me at some point, they can't tell the phone has switched ownership. Even people I know really well in real life will respond to my hellos with a "Can you put your mommy on the phone?"

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I think I'm getting to the point where I can tell the difference. Last time I called and Jacob answered, I knew it was him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines