Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Project Conceal and Discard:

Today it backfired. In addition to his electric toothbrush (which was temporarily taken away a couple months ago due to misuse), Jacob has a manual toothbrush with a Crayola theme. They came as a two pack. He used Crayola toothbrush #1 for a couple months before I decided it was appropriately worn down and I replaced it with Crayola toothbrush #2. Jacob was pleased to have this new crayon toothbrush, but I guess he assumed his former crayon toothbrush was just gonna hang out here forever. I hid it, of course, in the spot I'm using these days (tucked away in that corner on the counter) and let the issue sit for about a week. Then a couple days ago, in a fit of cleaning, I threw it out.

Boy was that dumb.

Today, the day the garbage goes out, Jacob opened the toothbrush holder he had apparently believed the old toothbrush was waiting in and discovered it was empty. He calmly asked me where it was, and since I knew there was no way around it, I told him I threw it out. I'll tell you, the theatrics that ensued could rival any teenage drama queen.

I actually felt really bad because I should have known better. I should have known because that's the sort of thing I am known to freak out about, and Jacob is me in miniature form. I should have known a week was not long enough. Items need at least, at least, a month before a decision can be made as to what their fate will be. And even then it would not be entirely safe because, as any parent knows, these kids have really, really good memories. I told Jacob I was sorry, and I really was. I was pissed he waited until garbage day to discover it because I am not beyond going through the big can, tearing through bags, touching old snot and coffee grounds. I totally would have done that if it hadn't been picked up just a mere two hours prior.

I was eventually able to draw his attention elsewhere, but it's going to come up again and when it does I'm sure I'll be on a major hunt to find another double pack of Crayola-themed toothbrushes.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger VW said...

That's so funny! My son - at one time - had a collection of 3 - count them! - 3 old toothbrushes I was forbidden to throw out. I'm not kidding!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Oh I believe it! The things they get attached to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines