Thursday, January 03, 2008

Setting the Record Straight

Jacob is short. I don't see a problem with this. I am short. I'm 5'1". Zach is 6'2". We assumed with the difference in height between the two of us we would have an 'of average height' child, but he is not and we don't really think that much about it. I don't know any other kids Jacob's age who are shorter than him. My father was 5'4", my brother is 5'9" and I always used to think that was very tall.

Today at gymnastics this new mom and I were pointing out our kids to each other. When I told her how old Jacob is she exclaimed, "He's four?!" I'm used to that response, but then she went on to say, in a pat-me-on-the-back-of-the-hand tone, that she was sure he'll have a rapid growth spurt some day. And she should know because she knew someone once who had a short child and that kid grew up to be nice and tall, like it's a disease to recover from or something.

I'm not mad at that mother or anything, because she meant well, but I could have ripped the throat out of that sales guy in the store at Christmastime. I was across the store and overheard him ask my mom how old Jacob is. When she answered, he screeched, "He's four?! He looks more like he's two!" And he said this right in front of Jacob. How dare you try to give my child a complex!

I've been hearing comments like this from people for most of Jacob's life now. Even family members claim that he won't be short forever, even after I protest that I like him short. Nobody says anything bad about his height, but they all reassure me that one day he will pop up like a weed. By saying that, they're implying that short stature in less-than-desirable. I don't need reassurance, I think Jacob is just perfect the way he is. So why the need for the public at large to imply my child is less than whole because he's a peanut?

I'd like for Jacob to be involved in sports in some capacity, I'd like for him to live with a certain awareness about life, I'd like for him to be a happy adult, and I'd like for him to be a good person who is good to the Earth, but I will never be disappointed if Jacob doesn't surpass 5 1/2 feet.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're in the exact same situation with Isaac... It really, really pisses me off when people imply that being short is a curse, and I'm going to start getting really bitchy about it, especially with family.

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a "full-grown" man who stands only 5-foot-6, I agree with your assessment that Jacob's fine the way he is. Height has had nothing to do with the quality of my life. My happiness -- or lack thereof -- has been determined by who I am, not what I am or how tall I am. I'm guessing Jacob will have a nice life no matter what his measurements are. They're just numbers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines