Sunday, February 24, 2008

This is my life

I'm at the computer doing school work. Jacob is watching a show. The phone rings. He jumps up to answer it. I can hear Jacob's end of the very short conversation, but nothing else. And then he hangs up.

"Who was that?" I question. Jacob doesn't know, he can only tell me that the person asked for Zach and then basically hung up. I'm annoyed because I think that the person on the other end of the phone was like, "Great, the kid answered, I'm not going to get anywhere with a kid so I'll just hang up on him." So I *69 the number and then call Zach because it's an unfamiliar number to me. Turns out it the number of one of his friends, a childless person. So I figure he was just annoyed that Jacob answered and figured he'd take a chance calling back later. I tell Zach next time he talks with this friend to tell him he can leave a message with Jacob, Jacob takes good messages.

Zach calls back a few minutes later, laughing. He called his friend right back and told him what I said. The friend was confused for a minute, "Oh, that was Jacob?" He asks. He thought it was me. That's. Just. Great.

Here's how the conversation actually went:

"Hey Stacey, it's Dave, how's it going?"
"Hi."
(some small talk from Dave and silence from Jacob)
"...Um...is Zach there?"
"No."
"OK...um....just tell him I called."
click.

Normally Jacob can hold his own in conversation but I think he was thrown by the fact that Dave was addressing him as Stacey. And poor Dave was there on the other end thinking I was mad at him so he was all quick and weirded out. He was glad Zach called him and explained that it was Jacob because Dave was nervous he did something to offend me.

I don't know if this speaks to the fact the my four year old is a whiz on the phone, or if I sound like a four year old. I mean I've written about this before, I know I sound like I'm twelve, but c'mon...people really can't tell us apart?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Ha, ha, ha!!!!

Jacob always says "hello?" as in, like an inquiry. You always say, "Hi." as in a declarative statement.

Also, Jacob is louder on the phone than you are.

I feel pretty special that I can tell the difference!!!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Not necessarily true...When I answer my cell phone (which you call on) I have caller ID and can tell who it is and that person gets their own individual greeting. In your case it's a two syllable 'hi' or 'hey'. Jenn might get a surprised hi because she never calls me anymore ;-) Someone else might get "Hey Laura."

On the house phone we don't have caller ID so I always answer with a 'hello' unless of course my internal caller ID (psychic) has been activated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines