Thursday, December 04, 2008

Our Jacob

We sent Jacob to my mom's last night so we could get some stuff done. Well Beans was up till 10pm screaming her head off in our arms. And then she was up again at 7am, cooing and doing cute stuff in the bed next to us. Her diaper was full so I went to pull it off in the dark and the runny poop that was in it basically went everywhere you can imagine. So that was the bulk of our morning.

But I digress. This post is about Jacob. We're down here having coffee now, talking about Jacob. It's nice to miss him now and then. It puts all that annoying stuff he does into perspective. So he wants a chicken for Christmas. He's being realistic about it and asking only for one. He saw 'Santa' at the mall the other day - and don't get me started on how Santa was like, "A chicken? That can't be ALL you want for Christmas" Seriously? Don't encourage him to want more, more, more when he's happy with less. American kids are the most spoiled kids. Being Santa at the mall must be one of the most depressing jobs, listening to greedy kids list of their requests all day long.

Also, don't get me started on how suddenly Jacob is buying into the Santa Lie. One conversation with a certain family member and now he thinks Santa is going to come to our house and bring presents. Great. I can't really break his spirit and tell him that's not true, when he seems to want to believe it, now can I? I'm definitely not going to start agreeing with him and acting like Santa is coming to our house, but I guess I can't outright tell him that's not true. I'm just kind of playing dumb.

Anyway, Jacob wants a chicken so bad. And I can totally see him with one. He gets up every morning, hops out of bed and jumps into his Carhartts. It would be a natural progression for him to walk out back and feed the chickens. He pretends about them all the time, like he's in training for the day when we finally agree to it. We have to get him chickens. I'm to the point where there's no way around it. Tons of people we know have chickens. It would be a totally normal thing to do.

Zach says NO WAY. In capital letters. Well he just found out that Mara, at work, used to have chickens. I should have guessed. She's like one of those people who's lived everywhere and done everything. Zach really listens to her though. I'll try to convince him of certain things, take this herb and you'll feel better, or maybe your problem is that you're not doing X, Y, Z...but he doesn't listen to me. Only when Mara suggests it does Zach listen. That's ok. We call her his work wife. So I have a grand plan to bring Jacob in to visit Zach at work....we'll go visit Mara too and the two of them can chat about chickens. Jacob can tell her about his imaginary chickens, and she can tell him how she used to live on a farm. Then, later, Mara can tell Zach how impressed she was with Jacob's dedication to him imaginary chics and that Zach really should get him chickens for Christmas.

Can you imagine the look on Jacob's face on Christmas morning? He would go berserk.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines