Saturday, May 02, 2009

Murphy's Law in action

My life continues to live up to my blog name. Constantly. Tonight Zach went to a party for a guy he knows who's getting married. I was ever so happy to let him go and was positive I'd be able to get the kids to bed myself and would have everything under control. Not so.

The first couple hours went well except for the fact that the kids were still awake. At 8:45 everyone was hungry and still awake. I put Sabine in the high chair and started feeding her tiny, tiny shreds of pretzel, which is what Jacob was having (except bigger pieces). Then I gave her a peeled grape in the Baby Safe Feeder. This two food items were new and I knew I was taking a risk because I am one of those people who feeds the baby only cooked, mushed and approved (meaning they were given on three consecutive days and proven not to be allergenic to Sabine) foods. She downed the food and then started choking. I pulled her out of the chair and with a little help from gravity she threw up the contents of her stomach. Then she threw up the contents of her stomach again on another part of the kitchen floor.

Fun times.

I decided it was definitely time to get her to sleep so I put her on the couch (because we don't have a changing table) pulled off her diaper and started stuffing the new one (note to self: must remember to have diaper stuffed and ready to go before pulling off old one).

Let me interject to say that yesterday I finally cashed in on my Christmas present from my mom: Professional carpet and couch cleaning. The couch and the nice rug in the living room got cleaned. No more food on the couch and no more dogs on the rug. Just a few hours ago I decided the cushions surely were dry and I pushed them back into place.

Can you see where I'm going here? Sabine flips her little body through the air and stands there looking out the window, tapping on it making noise while I'm fumbling with the diaper. Then she makes another kind of noise and I realize she's peeing on the couch. The nice, CLEAN couch! I mean seriously? It just got cleaned! She managed to hit four separate cushions at once because of the place she happened to be standing. Oh the talent.

Oh, and can I also complain about this regularly scheduled napping thing? It's been a couple weeks now where Sabine has been taking these 'regular' naps. It's nice, about 10am she sleeps, maybe for an hour or so. Then again in the afternoon, I couldn't tell you what time though, maybe 2pm. Today, we were at Jacob's T-ball game and Sabine fell asleep at the regular time but when I went to put her in her carseat ten minutes later, she woke up. The 10 minutes was just enough to take the tired out of her so that she wouldn't go back to sleep in the car or when we got home. She didn't go to sleep until after 12pm, which would have been ok if she could have slept for a few hours, but we had to leave the house around 1:30 to meet the guy from Craigslist with the bike for Jacob. So that was a big dilemma. Even though her nap was only an hour I thought she'd stay awake the rest of the day because it was already the afternoon. Not so. She fell asleep around 4pm. That screwed uo bedtime which ended up beingba 10pm thing. So my question is, how do you implement regular naps without being a slave to the clock?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger emmay said...

You don't. you pretty much plan your life around the naps until they're a little older. But the regular, generally easy bedtimes make it all worth it.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Erica said...

The key in our family is making sure the children wake up at the same time every day. Then, if things get messed up one day, at least they get reset the next.

Of course, the only reason I can do this now is because Oliver can't sleep late. Even if he falls asleep at midnight, he still won't sleep past 8 AM or so, and usually wakes up earlier. If he ever starts sleeping late, we will be doomed.

When we trained Isaac to be on a normal schedule, we did have to be slaves to the clock for a few months. But now he falls asleep at 10:30 and gets up at 7:30 (no nap), which is almost normal for a 5-year-old, right? I wish he needed more sleep!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines