Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 8: Birthday Cake

This year I made Sabine's cake. I sort of had a 'woodland' theme in mind, but as you can see, it more or less turned out to be a bunch of stuff that I'd collected, put on exhibit atop some sprinkles (pond), green fruit roll-up (grass) and crushed up Teddy Grahams (dirt). By the time decorating time came around I was just out of brain energy and it was all I could do to skip the decorating altogether. Anyway, I didn't get much feedback from those who partook of the cake, so I'm thinking it was nothing special.

I don't know how easy the details are to see in this photo because of the decoration behind the cake. That's a tree from Jacob's barn and a teensy watering can, Annie's Bunnies (munching on little bits of fresh kale), Teddy Grahams. An aside: I try not to buy the conventional brands with trans fat, high fructose corn syrup and artificial coloring, so there's a good chance that Jacob's never had Teddy Grahams (at least not recent enough that he would remember). So when he was asking for them today, he asked, "Where are the Teddy Diagrams?" It was so cute I didn't bother correcting him.

Another aside: The decoration in the back is a big #2 that had been circulating around our moms' group for more than a few years now. A lot of the kids in our club have had the honor of having that 2 present for their birthdays. I don't know what other families have done with it, other than have it in their possession for a while, but I put it on display as a decoration and make sure to take the birthday kids picture with it. And if I had a nickle for everytime someone asked, "Is that a pinata?"

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Erica said...

Congratulations to Sabine! And I really, really LOVE the cake. Amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines