Thursday, August 04, 2011

Dear Summer: Welcome!

Dear Summer,

    You were born two days ago, on August 2nd, 2011.  The time was 6:22pm and we had just gotten to the hospital about 20 minutes before that.  One push and you were out!

    Since it's still fresh in my mind, I might as well go over how the day went.  12 hours before you were born I was still asleep in bed.  Around 8am I told Daddy that maybe he should stay home from work, to be on the safe side (since he didn't want to go in anyway, as we thought you would have been born already).  Late in the morning the whole family went and did errands.  We went to the grocery store, Sabine got her hair cut, etc.  Daddy thought I was crazy to be out and about, but it wasn't even that bad until about noon.  I wasn't even sure it was going to be the day until a couple hours after that when we'd gotten Sabine down for a nap.  I cooked an early dinner, vacuumed the house, and Daddy was getting so mad at me because even though I was having contractions, I couldn't just sit still.  Sometime after 5pm I called MamMa to tell her maybe she should come by to take your brother and sister.  Then I went in the backyard to tell Daddy I'd called you and I started weeding the garden.  That's what I was doing an hour before you were born!

    I think I was just afraid to sit still because I was so scared of what was coming.  When MamMa and Papa got here I didn't want to leave your brother and sister.  I kept giving them hugs and telling them I loved them.  And Daddy was getting more mad because he wanted me to get in the car.  And then when we were partway to the hospital is when I realized you were going to be born very soon.  Just like when your big sister was born, I had to have Daddy drop me off at the door, but this time I made it inside and could still talk.  I couldn't sign to admit papers though, I was shaking too hard!  Inside the delivery room the nurses were being very vague, so in retrospect, I think they realized you were ready to be born, but they were trying to wait for the midwife to get there, and not make me too scared about her not being there.  The same midwife that delivered Sabine walked in and one push later, literally 10 seconds, it was all over.  I can honestly say it was easier than and not as painful as my last birth.  I feel like I won the gold medal in the Childbirth Olympics.

    You are so tiny, Summer!  You were 5lb 7oz, 19 in. when you were born.  And I was a week late with you - I don't know how you go to be so tiny.  Jacob was 7lb. 7oz, so you are a whole two pounds lighter than he was at birth.  Sabine was 7lb 5oz, which is the exact reverse of you, a fact that will make it easier to remember these new statistics.  All of us girls in this family have S names, not something that was particularly planned.  We girls also have only 2s in the day of our birthdays; Sabine is June 22nd and I am October 2nd. Oh yeah, same month as Daddy's birthday, same day of the month as your mother. Anyway, numbers are important to me, so I've been doing a lot of playing around with them in my head the past couple days.

    You're coming home to a full and loving household, little baby.  We have four rabbits, two dogs, and now three kids!  You have one big brother and one big sister, just like I do.  You and I are both the baby girls of the family; it's going to be nice growing up, you'll have lots of people to do stuff for you.  It probably won't be very quiet, but I promise it will be very fun!  You will learn to love being outside in nature, eat lots of healthy foods (you'll probably also develop an amazing appetite for ice cream), read tons of books, and chances are, you'll be one active kid, just like your siblings. You'll grow up with a deep respect for our planet. You'll be introduced to the Tickle Spider and The Bull.  You'll run circles inside our house and always have someone to try to catch.  You'll quickly discover the joys of snuggling in bed with a warm body next to you, and I promise we'll find a place to fit you when there's already a full bed.  You'll get lots of shoulder rides from Daddy.  Jacob will dote on you he'll share his construction vehicles and tools.  Sabine will teach you lots of songs and encourage you to dance.

    I'll keep you ever so close to me and will probably be over-protective; and even though I can't imagine it yet, I know I'll let you go out in to the world when it's your time because you'll teach me things too.  You'll teach me about parts of my heart I didn't know could exist, and I'll learn (perhaps painfully) that I'm capable of things that I thought were impossible (like letting go).  I can't fathom these things yet, but I know they'll happen because I love you with an indescribable fierceness that, surely, can overcome any obstacle.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger emmay said...

Beautiful! Cannot wait to meet her :)

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Stacey!
Loredana

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so amazing. Wish I had written these letters to my boys!What a wonderful memory!Congratulations to you and Zach!
Christie and Brian Garland

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Monica said...

This is wonderful Stacey,

Thanks for sharing... Cannot wait to meet her. I'm happy everything went so smooth. Well done for taking the time to enjoy it and writing such a keep sake.

Monica

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Jenny said...

Yeah! I can't wait for Emma to meet her new cousin! I was kind of thinking the baby might turn out to be a girl. What's her middle name?

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Glad everything went so well for you. I can't wait to see pictures...

I'll be interested to hear the story of how you settled on the name "Summer." Looking back at our discussion about names, I don't think that one ever came up.

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Uncle Bill said...

Welcome to the family, Summer. I hope to meet you real soon. You have lots to look forward to and I know your Mommy, Daddy and big brother & sister are proud to have you home.

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea abd very moving...truly bizarre how much Jacob's doting over Summer reminds me of how I was with you. Lots of similarities everywhere. HI SUMMER !! Wait...what's her middle name? I never asked. Summer, don't ever forget that I first held you when you were 3 hrs old. Pretty happy about that.

Uncle Scott

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Welcome, Summer! Congrats to the whole family!

And yes... you do deserve a Gold Metal for Childbirth!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines