Monday, February 26, 2007

How do I miss thee? Let me count the ways...

How many times have I uttered the phrase, "I wish I had a video camera right now," in the last week? Oh, maybe about as many times as hours have passed since the video camera was so frivolously drowned in the sink by the very person whose mere existence required the constant use of it to begin with. Three days after it happened, Zach pulled the sad video camera out of the drawer (grave) and TURNED IT ON. But it was really just like the effect of a drowning victim and that one last puff of breath that gives you false hope. That's all it will do (along with displaying some error message) - it just teases me with its almost-usefulness; sort of like a computer without the internet. Great! I can look through the viewfinder and pretend I am recording the precious, fleeting moments of Jacob's childhood.

I was all about taking my time, saving up the money, doing it the old-fashioned way. That's the way I operate. Get this, I save the money first, and then I buy said item. I don't have a credit card, never have had one, and Zach has only one which he uses very rarely and only when we know we'll be able to pay it off as soon as the bill is due. We get to feel all high and mighty about ourselves that we have no debt (other than a mortgage), no car payments, etc., in contrast to others of our generation.

Well my sister called yesterday asking if I would videotape her wedding. I just laughed. Makes me want one
real bad now; a nice digital video camera to go with all my other fancy digital stuff in this high-tech life of mine. It'll be her second wedding, which serves to explain why a layperson would be good enough for the job. I offered to be the photographer...haha. By the way, this is my only sister, the sister who was the Maid of Honor at my wedding, the one who insisted on my choosing her for Godmother to Jacob out of familial obligation. How can you videotape the wedding, won't you be in it? you ask. No, no I won't. She had a loophole when the wedding was just going to be 'simple' because there would be only one attendant each, but now that it's a full-size shindig, yeah, that hurts a little. My mom and I just laughed when she announced it would be simple; we knew she couldn't do simple if her life depended on it.


Speaking of video cameras, can I just say that I felt like I was on
The Office tonight at the convenience store. I got in line a split second too late, just enough time for the old lady to inch past me and up to the counter. If I'd hadn't been on such a mission what with my Lenten-induced sugar withdrawal and all, it would have occurred to me that there is only one reason a lady like that would be at Stewart's at 10pm. Lotto tickets.

One thing I will never understand is why someone would toss away their money like that and where the addiction comes from. She spent $20.27 on lottery tickets, not to mention the 10 minutes it took to pick them out. I wasn't complaining, I fully appreciated the hilarity of the situation. I was just shaking my head and laughing at the conversation about how the local bingo sucks. At one point I turned around to roll my eyes and I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window. It looked like I was turning to shoot the camera a funny "oh boy" eyebrow lift like Jim on The Office. I don't really know what my point is here, other than I love that show and that you should watch it, and I guess that I often feel like there's an invisible audience out there....tell me I'm not alone in that.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger emmay said...

The office ROCKS!! We only started watching it this season, but we borrowed Seasons 1 and 2 from a friend. Needless to say, the shows i our TiVo Now Playing list are piling up. I don't know what I'll do when we're done with Season 2. It'll be "like someone ripped my heart out and dropped t in a bucket of boiling tears"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines