Thursday, June 21, 2007

All the Things - Part II

At this point I am so backed up that I have to sit with the calendar in front of me so I can remember what day different things happened and if it was last weekend or yesterday, or not even in my lifetime! Not that I think too many people care about the things that went on in my absence, but here I go anyway.

11pm Saturday night: I've told Jacob that despite the fact that we just arrived at camp, he has to start to get ready for bed. And even though he was running around beaming with delight and repeating, "I so happy that we're at camp! It is so nice to be at camp!" because everything in his life has apparently been leading up to this moment, he is actually agreeable to the idea of bedtime. Then my mom calls home to check in with Jamie and let him know that we arrived. I hear her from the other room asking him what's wrong. He doesn't sound so good and admits to not feeling well. He's thrown up twice and is having pain in his lower right back (my mom uses the medical terminology that always makes it sound worse than it is).

Jamie had been golfing earlier and I figure he's probably dehydrated. In the background I'm all, "Tell him to drink some water." I'm a hydration freak. It is my answer to 95% of ailments I come across. How many of you reading this have had a bottle of water tossed at you by me, or been followed around the deck with your glass of ice water in my hand, have experienced me going to great lengths to return a sippy cup to you or have found something of the liquid nature tucked into your care package? You know I care when like the proverbial Italian mother shoving food in your face, demanding that you 'Manga', I come after you with H2O.

Anyway, it's not dehydration cramps. After my mom hangs up so Jamie can call my brother to take him to the emergency room, she explains that she thinks it's his appendix. Duh. Then she realizes that my brother might still be out of town, so before Jamie has time to call back, I put in a call to Zach. "Are you still awake?" (yes) "Have you had any beer?" (no) "Good. You might need to go pick up Jamie and take him to the emergency room." Which he ends up having to do.

Zach tells this so much better because he was there. Maybe I can convince him to be a guest writer...

I'll save the rest for another post, and to make a long story short, Jamie didn't need surgery so we didn't have to drive back home in the middle of the night! For a few hours though, we thought we might. So we stayed up til 2 waiting to find out what it was, and I figured if Jacob was only going to get this time at camp, he'd better spend it playing and not sleeping. Then of course, the next night was the same with the going to bed real late. Then the next day was the day we left. Jacob took a nice, long nap in the car at the most wrong of times. Late to bed again that night. And pretty much every night since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines