Monday, September 24, 2007

The Creatures of This House, Part II

We had a rough weekend with Ginger. She was in a lot of pain on Saturday night - crying, whining, making odd noises, she couldn't get settled and wouldn't put her recovering leg down, or let you near it. We've been very careful about keeping Mango calm around Ginger so I knew nothing happened while we were around. The only thing I can figure was that it happened when I'd left the house earlier and shut the dogs off in a small room, taking the bed out so Mango couldn't tear it apart. So my guess is that maybe not having anything to piece apart, she took her aggression out on her Ginger, who of course wouldn't be able to get away. Now I have to put up two different make-shift barriers when we leave so the dogs will be separated.

I gave Ginger a dose of pain meds and waited an hour. Still in pain. I gave her another half does, tried to make her comfortable with heat and some of my alternative therapy modalities, then waited another hour. Still in pain. I called the emergency clinic and asked them a couple questions. It would be $150 if we brought her in, visit and injection combined. The woman didn't seem that concerned and we really can't afford that right now so after getting a positive response about giving more meds, I gave Ginger one more half dose. An hour later she appeared to finally be asleep. Sunday she just laid on the bed all day, only getting up twice to pee and still not using her leg. So today she went into our vet's office because I'd left a message there on Saturday night and they wanted to see her. We got the answer that we'd been expecting - that she must have just torn some of the muscle fibers, etc, etc, and it's pretty much normal, then she got a vaccine. $100 (insert flush noise).

I guess I should say 'Creature & Cars' because our vehicles have been giving us unexpected troubles also. Last night Zach called me to say he was leaving the place where he's painting and would be home in five minutes. He called back two minutes later asking me to come get him. I did and he tried to jump the van. We left. He got up at seven this morning to call AAA. They met him there and also had no luck jumping it. They towed it 1/8 of a mile down the road where the mechanic we go to just happens to be located. It got a new battery today. $100. The van is only three years old. It was also in the shop three weeks ago for a new valve of some kind. Before that, the civic was in the shop, and before that the van was in the shop a day prior to leaving for our cross-country trip. That four car repairs in less than four months. What the hell?

Anyway, enough complaining. Zach had to move his office last week to a new building on campus. This new office is twice the size, which means he has twice as much room for things. Things that can be taken out of my cluttered house and moved into his office. A very large, framed picture that was given to Zach a couple years ago has never had a place in our home because we don't have a wall big enough to hold it. There's a big fat wall for it in his new office. He told me he'd take it, along with the mini-fridge of mine from college that is also taking up space in the basement. That night while Zach was gone painting, I took Jacob downstairs (a huge undertaking on its own) and set to cleaning up the basement. I was also doing this in preparation for the delivery of our new washer and dryer that we had to buy because the old ones lived out their lives ($$$) - and don't forget about the waterbed that broke last month ($$$).

I was so motivated because I couldn't wait to get those two huge things out of the little basement. Well...it took a good twenty minutes to move all the crap out of the way in Zach's workshop to get to the picture. The glass was broken, badly. Great. On to the fridge. I got a picture of that one though. I will let it speak for itself.









Effing bunnies.

I got right on the glass thing and had a new piece cut the next day, but the thing is still sitting in my entry way because the van battery died and we didn't have another vehicle big enough to carry it to the college. The fridge is still in the middle of my kitchen floor.

Then there's Jacob, who has been an angel for a couple weeks. I think he's decided that he's ready for a new phase and is gradually introducing "I want to wig out" phase or something. Other than just being plain crazy at times, he's doing the thing where he starts to pee and then looks around at stuff. You know what happens then. The night in the basement, he took the bunnies water bottles off of their cages and emptied them out over the bunnies heads. What's up with that? It's sooo last year (as in a two year old thing to do). Whenever I stop giving Jacob attention, he likes to walk over to my computer and turn it off so that I lose whatever it is I was working on. It's those little passive-aggressive things that kill me. Hope this one doesn't last long...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines