Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Obedience School

We are taking Ginger to obedience school tonight. I've been waiting for this class since before Sabine was born. We tried to get into it last year but it was full. So now we are going, as if we needed something else filling up our already packed calendar. Zach and I are having a preliminary discussion here. We've got the 4 PAGE LETTER because dog school is that big of a deal. This first night the humans go without the dogs. The letter says to bring their leashes and the collar they are currently wearing. I assumed that means bring it attached to the dog next week. Zach thinks we need to go remove her collar and tags right now and submit them this evening. We'll see about that.

The thing is we're being so careful because we're afraid to do something wrong. This lady who teaches it is the premiere dog trainer in the area. I;d say her services are quite coveted. But she is not a nice lady. I've spoken to her on the phone and when I hung up I almost had to cry just because she made me feel like such a moron. Other people I know have had experience with her, and they all say she's a B-I-T-C-H. Hoo boy. Here we go.

But I'm kind of excited to do something like this with Zach. You know, something other than fighting about the house and being stressed out about the kids. It'll almost be like a date because my mom and Jamie are going to watch the kids for us tonight. Who's wants to make a bet about how long it will take me to publicly embarrass Zach?

I had to fill out a sheet to bring tonight, on our agenda for dog training: Overly submissive & a general inability to understand or be understood by other members of the household. Sound good enough for the World Leader of Dog Training?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

If she's a behaviorist, she will probably ask you to "operationalize" your characterization of, "Overly submissive & a general inability to understand or be understood by other members of the household."

What does that look like? What does she do that makes you think she is overly submissive? What is the specific behavior that makes you think she is not understanding or being understood?

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger xmas said...

Yes, I know I will need to further define what I wrote on the sheet, but what it was was a list of problem behaviors that we had to circle and then below that was 'Other' followed by a single line. So what I wrote was all I could fit.

FYI, overly submissive is her moving on over so Mango can steal her food. Ginger running and hiding in the corner to cower when we either walk by her with something slightly resembling a stick/call her to come with us/raise our voices.

The being understood part is that she won't come when we call her, she prances around like a moron, she's basically socially retarded, tries to hump us, etc. And we can't understand what the hell is going through her head.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger xmas said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines