Sunday, April 20, 2008

In between all the glop...

Other than the drama with the banana soup on the stove, there's been a lot going on. On Thursday morning Jacob and I left town with a friend of mine and her daughter. We went to visit another friend of ours and her kids. Here's where we went:






We got home late on Friday night. Jacob was so happy to be home, so Zach declared Saturday a 'stay at home day'. Woohoo! We get one of these every couple weeks. On Saturday morning the boys went outside to do some yard/construction work. They stayed out until 8pm. Except for a short break in a Slip 'n Slide, Jacob was out there with Zach the whole time. He is such a worker bee it's unbelievable. By the end of the day I had an outdoor cage for the bunnies (for which Zach has plans to build an attached run), Jacob's dig pit was finally completed, and the outline for the barn/shed they are going to build was dug in the ground. If he had been sitting around doing nothing I would be mad about the crap on the stove, but since he's been keeping busy getting things done I can only really think about it and laugh.





This morning Jacob and I went to Church. I grew up going to church every week, but I don't go that often now. It's the same church I went to growing up so the rest of my family goes there, rather, the members of my family who still go to church. I don't really know how I feel about it anymore, the whole religion thing. When I do go it's really just for Jacob, so he has something like that in his life.

When we walked in a little bit late, Jacob and I immediately increased the amount of people in the church by 20%. Besides us there were only eight other people there. There was a substitute priest today, Mother Ann. When she came toward our pew in the middle of the service she walked over to Jacob and asked him if he would like to help her. He nodded his agreement and took her hand, walking up the aisle to the alter. For the rest of the service he stayed up by the alter with her and helped ring the bells, serve the bread, pour the wine, etc. He was so cute and so obedient. I was surprised that he actually went with her because he's so shy. But it was nice to see someone treating Jacob like he's capable. I really appreciate it when adults treat children like they belong, like they have an integral part in our world and like they are valued for the things they can do. When they're taken seriously. I was really proud of him.

Back at my mom's for a quick visit Jacob let himself into the bathroom for an extended amount of time. I didn't think this was unusual because of the stink coming from within but when Jacob came back out of the bathroom he had a devilish grin on his face. He fessed up to having cut his hair while he was in there. Great. He's been doing this for three out of the four years of his life and I really thought it would have gotten old by now. Just when I think he's finally outgrown that phase, he does it again. Months can go by and his hair stays intact save for when the proper person (barber) cuts it. It's always in the most conspicuous area too, on his forehead. There's a big ole spot missing in the middle of his forehead and if you push the hair back it reveals an almost shaven look in this two inch radius.

We're all sitting around telling Jacob he shouldn't do that, "Don't cut your hair again, please." We beg. Why not? Jacob wants to know. Jamie tells him because then the barber won't have any hair to cut. That doesn't make too much sense to Jacob - there will always be more hair to cut. My mom couldn't come up with any good reason why not, and me, all I could say was, "Because you will look goofy." But what does a four year old care about looking goofy? So really, what is the reason that a kid shouldn't cut his own hair? We will certainly save a lot of money if I just let him do it himself from now on.


Jacob cutting his hair. Why not? I don't know, what do you say to that?

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites Subscribe with Bloglines